? about space blankets

Posted by: Angel

? about space blankets - 11/23/06 01:41 PM

I was wondering if I take 2 flannel sheets and sandwiched a space blanket between them and sew around the edges if it would deminish the effects of the space blanket.
Posted by: JIM

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/23/06 03:06 PM

It would make the blanket wind/waterproof...
Posted by: brandtb

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/23/06 11:42 PM

But yor'd still end up with a waterproof barrier that would collect the water vapor your body put off, with the result that the inside flannel sheet would end up wet.
Posted by: redflare

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/24/06 05:39 AM

Why not use something like a Thermo-Lite Bivvy sack? Its already soft to the touch and wind/water resistant.
Emergency blanket will most likely rip before you can finish the sewing process.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/24/06 06:54 AM

There is no doubt that the Thermo-Lite Bivvy sack is better (I often carry one of their double sized ones for myself and my wife tro fit in. Misery loves company), but while much tougher, and probably more effecient, it is also much larger than a couple of space blankets. So, while I don't always carry the bivy, I always have a space blanked tucked into my day pack, and usually in a cargo pocket of my pants...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/24/06 09:11 PM

That is interesting, I would have thought that as long as body heat was held in and wind held out a space blanket would work. I had assumed (always a bad thing, I know) that the inner layer of fleece/flanel/wool/whatever, would just absorb some of the sweat you are probably going to generate. Ya learn something new every day...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 02:14 AM

Or you could just get something like this:
River's west H2P material

On their website, select the hunting gear tab on the upper left, then the accessories, then the blanket. Alternatively read about their product specs while browsing their site.

This stuff can't be beat for foul weather. I've had one of their blankets for almost 4 years now and it is as good as the day I pulled it from the box. I've used it as a shooting pad, as a ground cover, as a wrap at elk camp, but my wife uses it as a throw to snuggle in with the dogs at home in her favorite chair. We call it the pacifier because after 5 minutes in it, she is sound asleep, and so is the pooch.

I've tried to poke holes in it with sticks and wrestled it from the lab's jaws in tug of war sessions on the living room floor. It still doesn't show signs of damage or wear.

I grew up with wool everything; wool army pants, wool pendleton shirts and jackets, wool socks. Growing up at the base of Mt. Rainier in the Pacific Northwest, I just accepted that I could stay reasonably warm but forever wet in wool. I'll take the H2P garments over wool from now on, thank you very much.
Posted by: Susan

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 03:46 AM

"... skin to foil contact ..."

I wonder if that's really true?

I used to have a great Ford panel van that had been insulated by the previous owner. When I got the Dodge window van, I was sleeping in it in the Cascades when the temps dropped and I nearly froze. I opened one of my El Cheapo emergency blankets and pulled it over my bedding. I was much more comfortable in a few minutes.

It crackled like a baby playing with cellophane, though.

Sue
Posted by: jshannon

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 04:49 AM

Benjamin what does the blanket weigh?
Posted by: redflare

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 02:29 PM

How heavy is that thing?
I couldn't find it on the site.
Posted by: thseng

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 03:10 PM

I think that "skin to foil contact" would be the last thing you want. There is nothing magic about a space blanket. First, it doesn't insulate any better than any other plastic sheet.

Secondly there is a marginal extra benefit due to the reflective surface. It reflects back some of the IR radiation that was emitted from your outermost surface (beit clothing or skin) instead of absorbing it. If you are in direct contact with the blanket, any radiative benefits are insignificant compared to direct conduction through the thin plastic.

The main effect of these blankets is aside from shielding you from wind and water is to trap dead air around you. Again, if you are in direct contact with no air gap, that benefit is lost.

Now, I can think of a few excellent uses for these things. First, shiny side up for a desert sun shade. Second, to form the underside of a lean-to to refect the heat of a fire down on you, alieviating some of the crispy on one side, frozen on the other syndrome.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 03:41 PM

Izzy,
What book did you get that from, I had heard this a long time ago but disregarded the advice based on experience. I did some research (looked through the many wilderness medical books I have at home) and none had this advice.

Thanks,
Alan
Posted by: brandtb

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 05:13 PM

Benjammin,

The Rivers West site doesn't have a price for the blanket. Do you remember how much it was?
Posted by: Angel

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/25/06 06:02 PM

I found them Here for about $65.00.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: ? about space blankets - 11/27/06 07:20 AM

$65 seems about what I paid for mine. I would put the weight at about 3 to 5 lbs. Essentially it is fleece material that has a gas-permeable laminate sandwiched between two loft layers, with some reinforcing in the laminate. It is waterproof but breathable (think gore tex). It resists punctures and tears fairly well. Like any other synthetic, it is vulnerable to melting temps, but it does come with some really good guarantees.

The fiber bias is a tad stiffer than normal polar fleece, but quite supple. It is very quiet material in the forest, good for hunting.

It is expensive, but you are paying for some terrific qualities. I've a hunting suit made from this material. It is less bulky than conventional foul weather parkas and multi layer outfits. If you really want something that is just like the real thing back home but will hold up well and keep you dry, then this is the ticket.