POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key

Posted by: Equipped4Chicago

POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/05/06 05:31 AM

Ok. I was going to purchase the four way Sillcocky.

But, will the pocketwrench pretty much elliminate the need for it? What are your opinions?
Posted by: norhumco

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/05/06 06:27 AM

You are limited to the four sizes 1/4", 9/32", 5/16", and 11/32" with the Sillcock key. Whereas, the Pocketwrench will do that and more. I do not own one but it looks so cool. I think it would eliminate the need for the Sillcock key unless you need a positive fit.
Posted by: 311

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/05/06 07:28 AM

Sillcocks generally have the valve shaft recessed so that you cannot use a gripper type tool (visegrips) on it. The sillcock key has a "socket wrench" type end on it. Sillcocks on commercial buildings are designed to prevent vandalism by being operable only with a sillcock key, not a ratchet & socket. I will be getting a 4 way key. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Posted by: Russ

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/05/06 03:29 PM

These aren't exactly common items. Pictures/links would help. What do you intend to do with them?
Posted by: KG2V

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/06/06 01:51 PM

this is a sillcock key
Posted by: norad45

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/06/06 03:27 PM

I've had one of those in my desk at work for years. Never had any idea what it was for until now. I'm going to pick one up for my truck kit for sure.
Posted by: Hike4Fun

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/07/06 05:16 AM

Hello All,

Can you give some examples of where these are used?
Doors? Machines?
Posted by: norad45

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/07/06 12:12 PM

On the outside of commercial buildings there are often small locked compartments that protect water taps. These keys fit the various sizes of lock that you might encounter.
Posted by: Russ

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/07/06 02:27 PM

What do you intend to do with the Sillcock key? What do you intend to do with a Pocketwrench? Serious question. How will having one or the other contribute to your survival? I don't see where they fit into the plan.
Posted by: 311

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/07/06 08:11 PM

In the event of some urban calamity, the sillcock key would enable you to get water from the faucet (sillcock) on the side of a commercial building. Carrying tools is always a good idea. I would choose multipurpose tools, (i.e. pocketwrench) over single purpose tools. The whole purpose of being prepared is to be able to make big problems either solved or reduced to managability.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/08/06 03:09 AM

The sillcock key has been given a role, so...

My pocketwrench has been used in the past month to:
- hold nuts while the bolt was being tightened (works for loosening, to)
- to get leverage on a car battery that didn't have a handle or room to get a good grip on so I could get it out of the holder.
- as a door wedge, along the hinge side, in a restroom that had a defective latch
- prying the access panel of an old electic stove open, as 30+ years of yuck had basically glued it in to the back of the stove and I needed the pigtail for the new stove

As I've said other places, not the greatest prybar in the world, but it is handy to have none the less. I think it was designed by someone who spent too much time improviding, because it has always been very adaptable for me. To me, survival in town, or with a BOV has always implied being able to fix things, or take them apart in a controlled manner, even if it is only to get access to something like the way out of dodge. My big wrecking bar and my flatbar might be better choices in a lot of cases, but they are at home in my tool box.
Posted by: gryps

Re: POCKETWRENCH vs Four Way Sillcock Key - 11/10/06 02:16 AM

'To me, survival in town, or with a BOV has always implied being able to fix things, or take them apart in a controlled manner, even if it is only to get access to something like the way out of dodge. My big wrecking bar and my flatbar might be better choices in a lot of cases, but they are at home in my tool box."

I like the way you think.