PalmPilot Survival manual

Posted by: SonexN36SX

PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/26/02 08:11 PM

HI Guys,<br><br>Does anybody know of a survival manual, preferabally geared toward civilians, that I can load onto my PalmPilot? My PalmPilot is part of my "never leave home without it" stuff so it would be with me If I ever find myself in a survival situation. While a large paper book might not make it into my gear. <br><br>Thanks<br>David Koelzer
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/26/02 08:58 PM

What you want to get is The SAS Survival Guide by Lofty Wiseman. It's an abridged version of his larger book, The SAS Survival Manual. The guide is in Collins Gem format, and it's dimensions are 5" x 3.5" x 1" and it weighs 250g.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/26/02 10:37 PM

This came up about three months ago, or so, and the biggest problem is the Palm it's self. The things just aren't rugged enough to be trusted with that kind of data. <br><br>Now, if they ever get one that can take the abuse or you feel even more comfortable about the screen than Palm does (that's the limit in the limited warrenty), the Army's survival manual is online. Just copy it's contents into a text documnet, might take an hour if you include your download times.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 12:37 AM

Memoware has the Army Field Manual in iSilo format. Palmgear has a few items as well.<br><br>I've carried a Palm Vx in the metal-plated case for 2 years. It's been through hundreds of airport x-rays, numerous drops and bumps on various surfaces and I haven't had any broken parts (except for the buttons wearing out due to heavy use). The real problem is running out of power. I've actually used the backlight as an emergency light source in the woods, so it can come in handy in weird situations, but I wouldn't consider it a major survival tool by any means.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 01:14 AM

You're lucky- I see on average a smashed PDA screen ever 10 days, two weeks, working electronics retail.
Posted by: SonexN36SX

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 05:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. However, I did not mean to start an argument about the relative merits of paper books vs. electronic devices. That is like trying to say which is better, a Altoids PSK or a full loaded RV. The better one is the one you have with you! I always have my PalmPilot with me (it is standard equipment for my line of work) and I have the extra memory hold a electronic survival manual so it is a no penalty option for me to load a manual that may be helpful some day. It will also be good reading material for the odd moments when I am stuck waiting for the dentist, a flight or the traffic jam to clear.<br><br>I found the Army's survival manual that Cyberraven suggested in text format at: <br>http://www.netside.com/~lcoble/dir9/fm2176.zip It should be pretty easy to get it into a format that can be used on my PalmPilot. <br><br>Any other electronic manual suggestions?<br><br>Have Fun<br>David Koelzer

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 07:21 AM

The army manual is already in PDF format. Adobe have a program that allows you to convert PDF documents into palm format automatically. Check out their site.
Posted by: red_jeep

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 09:27 AM

Take a look at the updated FM21-76-1. http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/21-76-1/survival.pdf<br><br>Since it's designed for military training, there are some techniques which won't be appropriate for your typical survival situation. (concealment,evasion,etc.) Nonetheless, there is valuable info in this manual.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 05:57 PM

I use my Palm in my work - it is a don't leave home without bit of kit - and I carry a copy of that survival manual on it. I also need it whilst out and about so I bought a Palm Glove case, and for that time it slipped out of a velcro'd pocket and into a stream it provide enough protection that when I quickly scooped it out (cursing of course) it had protected the Palm.<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 06:03 PM

I thought about having a PDA on me while hiking, but I concluded it's more trouble than it's worth. Ive got a pretty neat solar charger, so I'd have to take that too. That's two things to carry, when I only wanted one, so I settled for none.
Posted by: billvann

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 06:14 PM

Which glove case?<br><br>Thanks.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 06:44 PM

I agree- I’ve been carrying various models for years now, and the “daily survival” value just keeps increasing over time- it’s like having an entire filing cabinet of your personally-chosen information with you wherever you go. Never had a catastrophic failure, but even if I did, the information exists on 3-4 machines at any given time (the Palm itself, work PC, home PC, network backup to home PC), so the failure of one does not mean information loss, just hardware- as such, it’s more secure than even paper. I use it constantly, and I regard my mobile phone as perhaps one-tenth as useful without it. The amount of information that no longer slips through my fingers has increased tenfold, my effectiveness at work is similarly increased, as is the information I’m likely to have on-hand in an emergency. The information it contains has kept “situations” from becoming “emergencies” more times than I can remember.<br><br>As I’ve changed models over the years, it’s capacity keeps getting greater and greater, and it keeps getting smaller and lighter. I used to carry a Daytimer, and, even with just 4 months of information, it was getting huge. I would love a “ruggedized” version, if it was still small and light enough, but in the meantime, I’ll take what I can get. Except for running, I never exit the front door without it, including hiking and bicycling.<br><br>Many who don’t use one say they don’t miss it, and I’m sure that’s right… you don’t miss increased capability you’ve never had. Those who use it until it reaches “critical mass” don’t go back.<br><br>Any information that increases it’s survival value is very welcome. Suggestions as to what to carry “instead” are not useful, as carrying Palm is not negotiable with me. Anything else is “in addition”, and hard to justify if it can be in the Palm itself, for zero additional weight and bulk.<br>
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 06:57 PM

Boy, I have to agree with everything you said! I carry an M500 - tiny - (also used to use a DayTimer) and haven't looked back - it has become indispensable.<br><br>I don't need the info on it for "survival". I do carry it with me on outings - I switch to a padded leather wallet and carry it in a cargo pocket. No problems so far - and if it gets ruined, I'll just have it fixed or buy a new one. Like you, my data exists in multiple (backed up) locations.<br><br>I think there is an Otter box for these now, but I haven't seen one. It's probably bulky, but that may offer the most bombproof way to carry a Palm device on outings. Anyone seen one?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom<br><br>
Posted by: dchinell

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 07:09 PM

Just wanted to agree about how handy the Palm can be. I use an M100, which has a plastic screen, rather than glass. So I guess that's a tad more rugged.<br><br>You sacrifice connectivity (no built-modem) but that's not a big deal when I'm hiking. I have my cell phone for emergency connections to my backup crew.<br><br>I like the Palm beacuse it's an e-book, reference library, and card deck all in one. I usually download a bunch of interesting reading material from the web before I go into the forest.<br><br>It's not an essential, but it sure is nice to have on rainy days.<br><br>Bear<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 07:31 PM

I have a Palm Vx and I have two ways to protect it. My normal mode is a small leather case that zips up. But when I go camping, I slid it into an annodized aluminum hardshell clam case. I then stick that into a nylon camera case that threads onto your belt. The case is about twice as thick as the Palm, but it works.<br><br>But it is not waterproof. I've seen ads for waterproof cases, but they're pricy and inconvenient.<br><br>The PDA format is growing quickly. I remember earlier this year when we got some new Scout in our troop and their fathers joined as leaders. After about five minutes of introductions, several of them whipped out theitr Palms and started emailing their "business cards" back-and-forth. We've even beamed misc. data to each other during campouts. It's an interesting sight to see a group of leaders standing around in a circle pointing their PDAs at each other. :-)

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 07:38 PM

I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I use the standard Palm hard case and it has been great in terms of avoiding breakage. It's extremely snug, but there is room for a credit-card sized mirror or magnifier behind the Palm. <br><br>I've got the belt-clip pouch as well, which can actually fit the hard case, but I tend to prefer the hard case alone in-pocket. The ultimate would be a waterproof hard case with a bit of room for other items while still being quick and easy to open up and use.<br><br>Perhaps it would be worthwhile, with so many Palm carriers here, to figure out the ultimate way to combine a carrying case with a PSK...

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 08:21 PM

I've had a bunch of cases up through my Palm 3xe, all those models were about the same size. I had a waterproof see-through/work-through case with a belt clip I used for sailing, it was by "Aquapak", but I think they quit making it- you see the same sort of thing for cell phones. There is one of the Otter boxes that's a very good fit up through the 3 series (coincidence, I think), bombproof, a bit bulky, no belt clip- but I went through the edges of hurricane Fran in a tent with it, and was very glad I had it along. Bought both the Otter and Aquapak from www.cases4less.com, which has very good prices on Pelican as well.<br><br>My all-around favorite was a Devian leather case that rode horizontally on the belt.<br><br>>>Perhaps it would be worthwhile, with so many Palm carriers here, to figure out the ultimate way to combine a carrying case with a PSK... <<<br><br>Hmm... the Devian case mentioned above has space on it's belt loop below the belt (horizontal carry), so I have been known to carry a small lockblade clipped there, behind the case- usually a CRKT Sampson's KISS (the larger kind). Out of sight, but very accessible. It's a start...<br><br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 11:21 PM

don't get me wrong the palm glove is not water proof but it gave enough protection for me to rescue the palm. The little water that penetrated was easily mopped out with a tissue causing no harm. Now if it rains it gets transfered into a stuff sack which has taped seams, rolls up and has secure velcro fasteners and it is still in the Palm Glove. go here http://www.cix.co.uk/~freedom/palm/hardware.htm for a picture of the palm glove (scroll down the page).<br><br>Clive<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 11:22 PM

I knew I'd seen this someplace: PDA Armor by Otter<br><br>Bomb around the various links. Most PDA models are covered from what I could see. Anyone use one of these?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 11:26 PM

I looked on my hard disk and I have a pdf version of the manual - I have no idea where I got it from but a search on Google should find it.<br>Then go to Adobe and down load the Acrobat Reader for Palm OS and convert it across. It makes a palm file of about 940k but I store it on compact flash until I want it.<br>(I could email you the file in Palm PDF if you cannot find the file on the web.)<br><br>Clive

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/27/02 11:29 PM

I still use a Palm III type with AAA batteries extras of those take up little room. I do not bother to carry my rechargeable Palm into the wilds, your right that is too much trouble.<br><br>Clive
Posted by: RayW

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 12:29 AM

For a good text converter for PDA's use MakeDocW. It is easy to use and it's freeware, download it at http://www.cognitiveroot.com/downloads.htm

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 01:19 PM

Have a look at this homepage. Maybe it is what you search. I don't know if it works on your palm pilot. They write they have a download for handhelds.<br>http://www.gamecamp.org/disaster.htm<br><br>Dieter<br>Stuttgart/Germany

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 03:43 PM

The lithium battery in my Palm Vx lasts all week at Scout summer camp. I don't use it much while camping, to be honest. I have all of the Boy Scout rank and merit badge requirements, a HandDbase database I track progress on the merit badges I run, Planetarium (real cool app that doubles as a compass), Weather Radio channels & frequencies for WI & IL, and misc. info. (recipes, songs, skits, survival tips). I also have a travel kit that includes a power adaptor that I can use to recharge the battery. It requires AC power, which is usually available, or I can plug the adpator into a power invertor I carry in my car. But I haven't had to go to that extreem yet.<br><br>Summer camp is not wilderness survival by any stretch of the imagination. But if you have your PDA in a true survival situation, and it survives whatever catastrophy that opit you in that situation, it can be an excellent addition to your survivial gear.<br><br>It may not last much more than a weeki. But by then you should have used it to plan and prepare for your survival efforts ahead. Remember the STOP acronym? A PDA can help you through that process. Gleen from it the information that you will most likely need for your situation. Perhaps you would even transfer some key info to paper.<br><br>By the end of the first few days, you should be in a routine based upon your surroundings, environment and situation. You will not likely need to referrence the PDA again, except if you run into brain freeze. <br><br>After a week or so, after the batteries have worn down, you're into a long term survival mode and a PDA is not going to save you. At this point, you must have retained knowledge and experience on survival to get you through.<br><br>As an aside, if you do find yourself in a survival situation and you do have your Palm, remember to disable uneccessary applications that may consume power. I beleive some of the "hacks" I have installed may eat up power. Like the Afterburner hack I have that cranks up the system processor speed to boost performance. Ther may even be utilities available to conserve battery life. I'll take a quick look around the web latter today.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 04:22 PM

>>As an aside, if you do find yourself in a survival situation and you do have your Palm, remember to disable uneccessary applications that may consume power. I beleive some of the "hacks" I have installed may eat up power. Like the Afterburner hack I have that cranks up the system processor speed to boost performance. Ther may even be utilities available to conserve battery life. I'll take a quick look around the web latter today.<<<br><br>There are- mostly overclockers that can also underclock to save power. It's very rare for the Palm's speed to be an issue.<br><br>First steps to conserve power would be to turn off beaming "auto receive", which eats a surprising amount, then set "auto off" to a minimum time (that's really no inconvenience, since it powers up instantly), turn off system sounds and alarms, and of course minimize backlight useage.<br><br>I almost always have one or two spare sets of batteries for the 3 series in my pouch- AAA doesn't take up much room, and of course there are compact solar rechargers for NiMH AAAs. Frankly, this is one of the reasons I haven't given away my 3 series yet. For the rechargeables, I know that there was a recharger for the Palm V that ran off of a 9v battery, and I'm sure there are other options.<br><br>I understand Palm's marketing decision to go rechargeable, but I sure wish they were removeable as well, so you could carry a spare, or an auxiliary power pack, as you can with a cell phone.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 06:01 PM

Thanks. I just got back from reading the blurb on my overclocking software that says that it can be underclocked too! Makes perfect sense after someone points it out. ;-)<br><br>Here's a link to the PalmGear page about Afterburner.<br><br>I need to re-read the instructions to make sure I change the settings properly. I'd also recommend testing the underclock scenario before you're in the wild in case the Palm freezes up and you lose data. It's easy enough to recove at home, not so easy in the woods.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 07:00 PM

Battery considerations were important to me when I finally decided it was time to try a PDA. The form-factor of the m50x (thin and small) was a strong draw, so I compromised by going with the m500 vs m505, reasoning that the monochrome display would be less power hungry than the color one.<br><br>My concerns about battery life were soon put to rest.<br><br>In regular use my m500 easily (and routinely) goes two weeks with battery to spare, using no energy conservation measures. It for sure can go longer. If it was really important, I think it would be almost trivial to make a sled to use drycells for power. The transformer for the docking stations indicates a regulated output of 5vdc. A sled with 4 dry cells and less than $2 of off-the shelf parts (excluding the connector) would do the trick. With a little more effort (and a few more components) it could be done with fewer dry cells.<br><br>There are inexpensive solar rechargers readily available that handle 4 AA/AAA cells.<br><br>But to me, battery life is not anything to be concerned about in a survival situation. If the PDA survives whatever precipitated the situation and it has pertinent useful info on it, use it. If not, or if the batteries exhaust, do without. <br><br>An extended trip (intentional) with the PDA (and a folding keyboard) used for journal entries, reference, whatever is different. Then the rechargables vs the AAA powered might be important. A compromise Palm model, if one wished to use replaceable dry cells, is the m125. I imagine there are similar models in the other lines of Palm OS PDAs.<br><br>Meanwhile, I prefer to NOT do without my PDA, as others have stated. If I had listened to my brother more closely years ago... I had no idea how truly useful it would be until I (almost reluctantly) got this one several months ago.<br><br>just my 2 cents worth on PDAs and battery life<br><br>Scouter Tom

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 08:12 PM

>>My concerns about battery life were soon put to rest.<<<br><br>That’s good to know. Since I use the “desktop” software 90 percent of the time (at home and at work) as opposed to the Palm itself, and the Palm spends a great deal of time a cradle, I was sort of concerned that I’d never find out what the battery life was in normal use- only when it became an emergency.<br><br>>>I compromised by going with the m500 vs m505, reasoning that the monochrome display would be less power hungry than the color one.<<<br><br>That’s the way I’m leaning now- I have NO interest in a color screen except for the possibility of 100 percent black-on-white contrast for reading, which is an attractive thought. Unfortunately, the m505 screen was a disappointment, so may as well go with the m500.<br><br>>> I think it would be almost trivial to make a sled to use drycells for power. The transformer for the docking stations indicates a regulated output of 5vdc. A sled with 4 dry cells and less than $2 of off-the shelf parts (excluding the connector) would do the trick. With a little more effort (and a few more components) it could be done with fewer dry cells.<<<br><br>Well, that would depend on whether the recharging logic is in the cradle or in the Palm itself. I had assumed it was in the cradle since the price of cradles more than doubled when they went rechargeable, but I don’t really know... maybe it's just the cost of the brick-on-a-leash. Recharging LIon cells is trickier than NiMH (and more dangerous). If the logic is in the cradle, then what you’re proposing could be hazardous.<br><br>>>A compromise Palm model, if one wished to use replaceable dry cells, is the m125.<<<br><br>I’d much rather see a compromise of removable rechargeable cells, like a cell phone- so you could buy, charge and carry as many as you need to be comfortable for trips, without giving up the convenience of a rechargeable. This also covers the question of what happens if the cell starts to go bad…<br><br>>>Meanwhile, I prefer to NOT do without my PDA, as others have stated. If I had listened to my brother more closely years ago... I had no idea how truly useful it would be until I (almost reluctantly) got this one several months ago.<<<br><br>I got one for the lady of my life a couple of years ago.. she really didn’t want it, wasn’t that interested, but I was buying my third (not counting a Newton... and I wouldn't). Now she’s in a serious panic if she thinks there might be something wrong with it.<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 08:14 PM

Extensive use of a keyboard will soak up battery power like mad. I nearly drained mine in two days when I was on an off site trip. <br><br>re: Sled. <br><br>Let me see if I have this straight...<br><br>Get a spare serial connector that fits into the Palm slot and wire it to 4 AA batteries (1.5v each = 6v total). Additionally, a solar charger could be used to (a) recharge the 4 AA batteries or (b) wire into the Palm serial connector to charge the lithium battery directly.<br><br>>>>If I had listened to my brother more closely years ago... I had no idea how truly useful it would be until I (almost reluctantly) got this one several months ago.<<<<br><br>BTW, I bought my wife a Handspring this Christmas. The first words out of her mouth when she unwrapped the gift were, "What are you??? Nuts??? Why would I want one of these?" Needless to say, she's a techno-phobe and I returned the PDA. :-) Oh well.

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 08:21 PM

>>> I had assumed it was in the cradle since the price of cradles more than doubled when they went rechargeable, but I don’t really know... <<<<br><br>Could you connect the cradle to a drycell sled instead of using the DC converter that plugs into the AC outlet?<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 08:33 PM

>>Extensive use of a keyboard will soak up battery power like mad. I nearly drained mine in two days when I was on an off site trip.<<<br><br>Is this one of the folding keyboards? I've used the "Gotype!" keyboard from LandWare (http://www.landware.com/gotype/index.html) on trips, and often for almost two years on the subway, and I really didn't notice much difference in battery life. I prefer the clamshell design to the folding design anyway- easier to use on laps, in bed, whatever where there's no hard flat surface.<br><br>I was given a used PalmV that I never really used, and that's part of the reason why... although it's lighter and smaller, I'd have to replace the keyboard, the cradles, the travel charger, the cases... peripherals can run into money, and if I had done all that, it would all be obsolete again now.<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 08:52 PM

>>Could you connect the cradle to a drycell sled instead of using the DC converter that plugs into the AC outlet?<<<br><br>Well, if the recharging circuits are in the Palm, it shouldn't be necessary, of course. If they are in the cradle, then what you're describing should be possible.. although the recharging circuit might not be able to properly handle low-voltage input (since it's expecting it to come from a wall socket), so using anything less than fresh cells might be a concern. I'm out of my field of expertise, though, so this is just speculation.<br><br>I do know that this whole broad issue is (ostensibly, at least) why Motorola went to having chips on their mobile phone batteries that identify the battery type and the fact that it's a genuine Motorola to the phone. The phone will use after-market batteries, but it won't recharge them.. the problem was that all sorts of wierd third-party devices were being marketed, including compartments that fit the battery well but contained alkaline dry cells.. of course, the first time someone tried to recharge them, there was trouble... and Motorola decided they had to "idiot proof" the whole arrangement in self-defense. I doubt that Palm has done anything that sophisticated with their cradles, but...<br>

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 02/28/02 11:47 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well, that would depend on whether the recharging logic is in the cradle or in the Palm itself.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Good point. I'm too busy to be interested in checking this out right now, but I know someone who can probably find out for me - I'll ask him. Meanwhile, I see that there is a 12vdc recharger out now for it that LOOKS like a common cell-phone power cord, and it is listed at about the cell-phone cord price. While that's not a definite, it gives me some hope that the logic is in the device rather than the cradle.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I’d much rather see a compromise of removable rechargeable cells, like a cell phone- so you could buy, charge and carry as many as you need to be comfortable for trips, without giving up the convenience of a rechargeable.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Me, too. After mine is out of warranty I intend to pop the back of the case off and look it over. Maybe proprietory fasteners on the back (4) - I can't say for sure without magnification - not that that will hold me up. There is no simple solution with the present models, tho. Like I said, tho, the m125 is same cpu, same connector, and SD/MMC slot in a little larger form factor and it uses 2 AAAs... if the size isn't a driving factor, these may make more sense - just my opinion.<br><br>I have not run my battery to death yet - like I said, I only recharge it every couple of weeks. It goes in the cradles for a daily synch and then immediately back in my pocket. It has been over a week since I charged it and the battery indicator shows about 70% - for what that's worth.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom
Posted by: RayW

Re: PalmPilot Survival manual - 03/01/02 01:39 AM

Palm and Visor chargers, <br>http://66.186.210.249/catalog.html