tubing for small psk

Posted by: doracozz

tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 09:08 AM

Does anyone know of a good source where I can get some of the electrical tubing for my small psk? The electronics stores I have checked with, don't have any tubing as small as the size that Doug suggests for a psk. They have shrink tubing, but I'm not sure if that is what I should get. I don't know much about electronics so I thought I'd ask someone who would know the answer.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 12:33 PM

That'll work. You'll want to swish it in warm water with dish soap in it and rinse it well before using to get that stuff they put on it to keep it from sticking in shipping off (NASTY tasting), but shrink tube is fine.

I like the red, easier to see if you drop it.
Posted by: Brad

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 05:23 PM

What diameter are you looking for? I put some small hose in my kit, 1/8" OD. I use it at work on paintball guns and it comes in different colors. I choose red too, easy to find if you drop it. Stuffed a foot or so in the kit.

Posted by: Susan

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 06:30 PM

Brad, where did you find tubing that small?

Sue
Posted by: Flotsam

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 06:40 PM

What is the tubing for? IV tubing is about that small, and if that would work, I have several out-of-date admin sets that I could scavenge the tubing from - be happy to mail some to whoever needs it.
Posted by: Urbanite

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/16/06 10:37 PM

I use www.canalrubber.com for my tubing needs cause they are local to me. They do say they serve customers nationwide though so if you can't find someone equivalent close to you, you can give them a try.

They carry many types of tubing, even food grade if you're leary of sucking on an unknown substance.

The only problem is that some of the tubing, especially the smaller sizes do not seem to be sold by the foot. They're not expensive but can you use a 25-100 foot coil?

As for shrink tubing, the only type I'm familiar with, did not seem suitable as it would collapse when bent limiting its versatility.
Posted by: widget

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/17/06 02:24 AM

I use silcone aquarium tubing. It holds up very well, is super flexible and no taste to speak of. Of course, if you have to use it to sip water out of a small pool or a seep, it will likely taste nasty anyway.
The main thing that I like about the silicone tubing over other type plastics, is that it is really durable and flexible. Mine is aqua blue color and about 1/8" ID.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Pr...p;N=2004+113793
Posted by: doracozz

Re: tubing for small psk - 08/23/06 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I'll check them out and find out which of them works best for my small PSK.