Tobacco tins

Posted by: Anonymous

Tobacco tins - 03/16/01 05:08 AM

Does anybody out there know of a source for tobacco tins suitable for a small and large pocket kit? All of the local tobacco vendors in my area have not this. <br>Plastic could be a good substitute??<br>Thanks!!<br><br>
Posted by: Aeroscout

Re: Tobacco tins - 03/16/01 05:23 AM

I also gave up looking for tobacco tins. Plastic would probably be all right but not as strong or heat resistant. I ended up using an Altoids breath mint tin for my personal survival kit.<br><br>

Re: Tobacco tins - 03/16/01 05:26 PM

Don't forget shoe polish tins. They come with a handy opener built into the side. You also know they are airtight or the shoe polish would evaporate.<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Tobacco tins *DELETED* - 03/16/01 08:31 PM

Post deleted by Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Tobacco tins - 03/16/01 08:56 PM

If you go the shoepolish route,get a can of saddlesoap.Its a lot easier to remove the contents and a lot less messier.A larger tin is available.Look at a horsetack-feedstore if you cant find it.Just soak in water and the entire block can be removed and not wasted.<br><br>

Tin substitutes... - 03/18/01 06:45 AM

One could also get bulk film canisters, these are great, I have a couple. Find somebody that develops their own film and rolls their own film from bulk supplies. Usually schools are great sources.<br><br>Also, check Cheaper than Dirt and look for a butter tin, I believe it is German. It is a two piece item and rectangular. I keep meaning to get a couple but haven't, they are only about $2.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br><br>Plainsman <br>Plainsman's Cabin Homepage<br>Plainsman's Cabin Forums

Re: Tobacco tins-Chris? - 03/19/01 04:09 PM

Chris did you ever get those Swedish notionsbox from Major surplus & supply? I was thinking of ordering them. They also have a deal on those hatchets with the hammer and nail puller and crow bar things for $3.00 each.<br><br>"Stay Frosty"

Re: Tobacco tins-Chris? - 03/19/01 07:46 PM

Yes I did.They're larger than true pocket size and sealing with tape is a must.They are nicely rounded andmake a great signal mirror. I've managed to pack everything but sleeping bag inside(lifeboat match canister a bit to thick).If anyone goes the tobacco route,save the tobacco! Put it in an open container with your woolens.It will repell moths and is safer around pets and children.<br><br>