knife holds

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

knife holds - 02/17/02 04:20 AM

Instruction on knifeholds for fighting are common. Information on working grips is not. The adage " always cut away from yourself" is wise, but not always possible. I stumbled on a Swedish site on camping with a few very good photos demonstrating a few. [ http://home.swipnet.se/lagerelden/mat/index.html ] key on start, key on photo of knife hold, key on "talja", Stephan, If your out there - help!
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: knife holds - 02/17/02 06:27 AM

Chris,<br><br>That url doesn't work. Could there be a misspelling?<br><br>John

Re: knife holds - 02/17/02 06:54 AM

poster error! I fixed it in my post. the link is http://home.swipnet.se/lagerelden/mat.index.html It's in Swedish, but appears to have some interesting information. Just link on the photos.

Re: knife holds - 02/18/02 03:26 AM

Chris,<br><br>The site certainly has techniques that are new to me. They look quite promising. But there is something about the approach used in "Talja mot brostet" that makes me a little uneasy. It's probably the cutting back towards the left forearm. Nevertheless the wood being cut is interposed between the knife and the left forearm, so it should be safe, if such a cut is really needed. But it really seems different.<br><br>John

Re: knife holds - 02/18/02 03:53 AM

As with everything, take what works for you. The one method concerned me also. I have a few scandinavian knives scattered in reserve to my primary blades. I am tracking down a Scandinavian woodcarving book that shows additional handholds.

Re: knife holds - 02/18/02 09:18 AM

DUH!<br><br>Here I am, Dr. John, studying the cutting edge of survival techniques. I boasted to my wife of my new knowledge of the esoteric Swedish knife-holding techniques and showed her a printout of the pictures from the Swedish-language website. <br><br>She critiqued them, explaining that she has used 4 of the 6, some since girlhood. She also spontaneously explained the useful application of #3, "Talja mot brostet," the one I was uneasy about (although I had not mentioned that to her).<br><br>And we've been married 17 years. And I didn't have a clue.<br>But she may not be typical. She's a registered dietitian, the head of a hospital's food service department, and a superbly talented cook at home. But, still, she learned at least one of the techniques as a little girl. <br><br>The only balm to my plummetting ego is that at least I was smart enough to have grabbed her 20 years ago. Now if I only raise these subjects of conversation a little sooner, maybe I can compress my learning curve. Maybe even get it down to a few years.<br><br>John<br><br>P.S. One observation I've made about this website, as well as some other similar and excellent survival, outdoors, and shooting websites is that most of the participants seem to be men. We might be missing something.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: knife holds - 02/18/02 04:48 PM

I can get there, but I see text which I can't read. I take it you saw photos somehow? Any help in that dept? Mac
Posted by: Ade

Re: knife holds - 02/18/02 09:41 PM

I finally got around to checking this out, just to see what the commotion was all about. The only one I haven't used is the last one (point down, fingers hold onto the blade, thumb pushes). That one just stymies me. Why? Where's our tranlator?<br><br>Andy

Re: knife holds - 02/19/02 08:38 AM

Mac,<br><br>Try this url: <br>http://home.swipnet.se/lagerelden/hantverk/talja.html<br><br>It is a more direct route to the exact site.<br><br>John

Re: knife holds - 02/19/02 04:43 PM

To translate any site into any language ( with some gramatical imperfections ) use the fish found at <br>Babel Fish

Re: knife holds - 02/19/02 05:27 PM

Mac, there is a small start in the initial menu. that will take you to several swmall round photos. One of the lower ones shows a hand with a knife. Key on that and in the following menu key on talja. Theres only a few, but worth a look.

Re: knife holds - 02/19/02 05:39 PM

Ah. went there via John's method.... i am not all that swift at puters...... i see 2 different knives, and the "back hand" method pic has a knife with a handle much like a "Crooked Knife" but the blade is straight.<br><br>I have not yet tried the "Babble Fish" but the page seems to be about controlling the blade for certain things.... I am familar with cutting towards myself, and usually there is a pretty good amount of controll..... Sort of like pulling a wrench rather than pushing it.... Thanks for puttin up with me.... I'll be the first to tell ya when I get up to speed with these puters too!<br> ;-) MAc

Re: knife holds - 02/20/02 08:29 AM

First, hi all. I've been lurking here for a couple of years, but haven't felt the need to post before. This has me feeling stupid though. I tried to use Babel Fish to translate, but couldn't find a Swedish to English option. What am I missing?

Re: knife holds - 02/20/02 03:26 PM

sincere apologies to the group. I posted something untried Seems that there is no Swedish to English option on the fish. I have looked about for a similar tool on the web that can do this but haven't found one. Sorry for misleading you all. Still the fish is a convenient tool to know about when it knows the language.