Lost Screw from Ritter M2

Posted by: TomSwango

Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/17/06 10:54 PM

I just noticed that one of the three screws that holds the clip onto my Ritter m2 has gone missing. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and what type of screw is it so I know what to ask for. As always, thanks in advance
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/17/06 11:18 PM

email or call benchmade (info on their website) they will happily and quickly send you the replacement screws. I got mine a day after the final email!

Just tell them what knife and what screw is missing and they'll send you the right one.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/18/06 01:53 AM

Yup ... what he said.

By the way, the clip screws use a T6 Torx head. The pivot screw uses a T10 Torx head.
Posted by: 311

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/18/06 04:29 PM

Do we want to use some Loctite on screws?
Posted by: KenK

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/18/06 04:40 PM

I wouldn't. Loctite doesn't get along well with plastics - tends to melt it.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/18/06 06:42 PM

Loctite is fine, but be aware it can make removing the screw very difficult. Benchmade has used Locktite at times in the past for these screws, but the difficulty was that with the very small screw size they were not able to consistently apply the correct amount, a minute drop, so owners would strip the head out of the screw trying to unscrew them. It's something of a no win situation. Use blue grade Loctite only and only the very smallest amount. If any squishes out, you used too much, remove the screw, clean and try again.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/18/06 06:44 PM

Nothing wrong with using Loctite on these knives. Both the glass reinforced nylon handle and the brass inserts the screws actually are threaded into are just fine with normal grades of Loctite.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Lost Screw from Ritter M2 - 07/22/06 05:54 AM

Little tip that I picked up from a Saddler I used to work with. He had a nice sideline in repairing briefcases. Mostly replacing busted handles. Handle is held in place by screws - mostly. The manufactures quite often used locktite to stop them coming out. That left him with the problem of getting the screws out. He discovered that if you tap the mount sharply with a mallet, the locktite bonds break. Most so called "superglues" molecular bonds orientate themselves in one direction. They break very easily if shocked or subjected to shearing forces. Makes them a poor choice for most jobs.