Advantage of a butane torch lighter?

Posted by: Anonymous

Advantage of a butane torch lighter? - 06/23/06 04:55 AM

Hey guys,
I got a Solo butane lighter that has a 3700 F flame. However, it does not catch things on fire any better then a 70 cent. BIC lighter. What is the advantage of a torch lighter over a regular cheap as dirt lighter?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Advantage of a butane torch lighter? - 06/23/06 05:29 AM

No thoughts on this one guys?
Posted by: halogen

Re: Advantage of a butane torch lighter? - 06/23/06 10:48 AM

Quote:
No thoughts on this one guys?

Wow, you expect a quick response! :-)

I have a Blazer blue-flame lighter. Advantages are more heat, longer and more directable flame, and somewhat (not completely) windproof. And it looks cool.

Great for lighting candles (longer directable flame), and I've also used mine for de-icing a bike lock, and heating up a metal candle holder to melt the broken-off candle stump in order to insert a new candle. The latter wasn't exactly a survival situation, but I'd be generally more confident in its ability to light a fire under difficult conditions than a bic.

It's also easier to use for sealing the ends of cut paracord, and I'd bet that it'd be better for burning through ropes (if you're minus a knife.)

eeph
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Advantage of a butane torch lighter? - 06/23/06 05:30 PM

My Blazer does ignite things quicker. Quicker is better, isn't it?

I can also use it to ignite hex tabs that are sitting on a Nesbit-style stove one-handed, by directing the torch flame down. With a normal luminous lighter flame, I have to hold the tab in the flame for many seconds. In practice that either needs 2 hands (and no wind) or else some intermediate tinder.

The disadvantages are that its electronic ignition so I can't use to to make an effective spark when the fuel is used up, and it's not a very effective light source. And it's bulky. If I have space, the advantages are worth the disadvantages in my view.