My first Spyderco!

Posted by: martino910

My first Spyderco! - 05/10/06 02:09 AM

Hi., I recently purchased a Spyderco Dyad jr for $15.
Is this a good knife? (feels really solid!)

Any info on it's history?
It says "clipit" , but there is no clip.
Would appreciate any info on this knife.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: My first Spyderco! - 05/10/06 04:27 AM

You might want to look over www.bladeforums.com or www.knifeforums.com Spyderco is the knife some competitors love to hate. They will critique the steel, the geometry, handle and probably the packaging given half a chance. Spyderco started the whole onehanded opening concept with the signature thumb ring and gets little recognition for a lot of knives sold as a result. You will see a lot of spyders sticking out of the pockets of using owners. For $15 you are hard pressed to do better and could do far worse with 3 times the outlay.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: My first Spyderco! - 05/10/06 05:14 AM

There's an old saying: " Those that can, do. Those that can't become critics." Spyderco most definatly "can." Most critic's don't understand, or have no interest in learning, the difference between criticism and critique.
Posted by: 7k7k99

Re: My first Spyderco! - 05/10/06 06:01 AM

congrats on your first spyderco

here is a link to the history of all spyderco knives:

http://www.ted.tweakdsl.nl/spyderco/history.html

your knife appears to be from the 1998 line.

I used to have no use for spyderco's, but now I love them, they are some of the easiest to open knives out there, they look a little weird, but who cares what they look like?
Posted by: garrett

Re: My first Spyderco! - 05/10/06 01:26 PM

A dyad Jr for 15 dollars? That is a heck of a deal! Congrats on your first Spydie. Once you have been bitten, you won't go to another brand, IMHO.

Garrett