Brain-storming Idea

Posted by: tfisher

Brain-storming Idea - 04/10/06 11:06 PM

Here is an idea that came up in a brain-storming session we had when we were discussing caching survival items and burying them in the ground. I thought it might be interesting to see the pros/cons kicked around on the ETS forum.

The Idea:
Casting survival items and supplies into bricks of paraffin wax to keep items water proof, some items would have to be in separate containers in order to keep the wax from spoiling items.

The bricks could then be buried in the ground and supposedly still water proof.

There are pros and cons.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Brain-storming Idea - 04/11/06 12:44 AM

Name for me a pro. You bury things in the ground becuase they are dead you don't want them any more, not becuase you need to get them quickly.

Realistically, this might be better in the long-term side of the house.
Posted by: tfisher

Re: Brain-storming Idea - 04/11/06 12:57 AM

I looked I can't Move the post.....sorry
Posted by: Susan

Re: Brain-storming Idea - 04/11/06 02:00 AM

If you're going to bury something, I would make it a large leakproof jug like this: http://doityourself.com/store/3671971.htm

It holds a gallon, and doesn't appear to have a spout that would break off. If you were in dire straits, it would probably be easier to open.

Sue

Posted by: teacher

Re: Brain-storming Idea - 04/11/06 04:14 PM

I think animals may eat the wax...
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Brain-storming Idea - 04/11/06 04:39 PM

Caches are a good idea if for example you are about to find yourself looking at a hurricane from underneath. In order to be worthwhile the cache need to be fairly large. That means dustbin sized or above, fill them, waterproof them revette them into the ground. Erect an stout marker. Note position.