Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine?

Posted by: Susan

Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine? - 03/22/06 07:24 PM

Below is a site showing the working of a two-cycle Stirling Engine.

http://www.keveney.com/Vstirling.html

I had never heard of it before. Are they being made at all currently? Are they viable? Could they be attached to an inverter? Could a handy person make one? Does anyone know anything about them?

Since they are powered by hot air, it seems they could be run on practically anything that burns, including vegetable oil, and would be handy when the fuel for the generator ran out.

Think?

Sue
Posted by: JimJr

Re: Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine? - 03/22/06 09:46 PM

These guys, American Sterling Company, have a lot of good information on Sterling engines. I like them and think that would be a great power source for hybrid vehicles. Several U.S. automakers expiremented with them in the early 1970's but could overcome the Sterling's 2 weaknesses - lack of an instant start (it takes several minutes to get up to operating temperature) and slow throttle response.

JimJr
Posted by: Jackpine_Savage

Re: Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine? - 03/23/06 01:37 AM

I believe that this type of engine was used to pump water to refill steam locomotives during the 1800's.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine? - 03/23/06 01:35 PM

Stirling cycle engines are extremely quiet and very efficient (compared to internal combustion engines). The sweeds use a special type in one of their submarine classes. I would love to find one for a small generator application but have so far been unsuccessful.

Bill
Posted by: JimJr

Re: Two-cycle Stirling heat-powered engine? - 03/23/06 04:39 PM

Check here: American Strling Company - Links