Water Purification Tablets

Posted by: trooper0366

Water Purification Tablets - 01/18/06 02:07 PM

I bought some Katadyn Micropur tablets and am considering repaking them in a brown glass bottle that previously contained purification tablets issued to the military in the 1980's. The Micropur tablets come individually sealed in foil. I want to repack them to save space. Any helpful thoughts/ comments would be appreciated.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: Water Purification Tablets - 01/18/06 02:16 PM

FWIW I looked into this awhile back, and everyone, including the manufacturer, indicated that it wouldn't work. The impression I get is that the chemicals are more sensitive and volatile than those in the iodine tablets, so repackaging is liable to ruin them.

The best solutions seem to be judicious trimming of the packaging and crushing the pills within the packaging to flatten them.

I found that if you fold or stack them so the pills nest in alternate layers, you can save a great deal of space.

Bear
Posted by: paulr

Re: Water Purification Tablets - 01/19/06 12:29 AM

Crushing the pills doesn't seem like a great idea since even inside the little bubbles in the packet, there's some air that the interior of the pills possibly shouldn't be exposed to excessively. Stacking the foil things as described sounds like the best plan.