Flare Shells

Posted by: Woodsloafer

Flare Shells - 01/13/06 09:48 PM

In the pre M9 era, the USAF issued aircrew the S&W model 15 revolver, in 38 Special. The issue ammunition included a flare round. In fact, at one time the flare rounds were to be carried in the chambers.
Does anyone know a source for handgun flare rounds? I have seen 12 gauge flares and even 30-06. I would also be interested in 20 gauge flare shells for my kit.
I am aware of the potential for starting a fire, alltho I believe the military flares were designed to burn out prior to hitting the ground.

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Flare Shells - 01/13/06 10:21 PM

I was looking for flares in 45 acp but all I found where tracers.
Posted by: Ors

Re: Flare Shells - 01/13/06 11:52 PM

I just happened to see at (our good friend) Wal Mart the other day a small flare gun that had some shotgun type shells. I don't have much experience with firearms of any kind, but the shells looked to be about the diameter of a 20 gauge, but only about an inch or inch and a half long. I didn't inspect them any closer than that.

For what it's worth.

Which brings to mind the question, how useful or necessary would a flare gun be in the Midwest? Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone see need for signalling in that manner in farm country?
Posted by: massacre

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 12:25 AM

I bet when my brother-in-law got trapped under his tractor (tipped sideways down a soaked road embankment) that he had a sidearm with this in it. A car drove by and saw it, luckily stopped and got help. No lasting damage, but it could have been bad if he was out in a field. I can think of a dozen other situations in farmland where it would be a good idea if you can't reach someone on a radio.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 12:31 AM

Not specific to your question, but it might make more sense. I have to believe a flare round would leave residue that might not be good for the bore.

http://www.truflareusa.com/
Posted by: wildcard163

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 12:47 AM

If there's ANY water big enough to put a boat in anywhere near you, then there's a market for the flaregun. Coast Guard reg.s require safety devices, ie. flotation devices (wearable and throwable), signaling devices (flares and radios), and proper lights (port, starboard, stern, and at anchor lights) to name a few. Requirements depend on the size of the boat and/or the number of passengers/crew. My 23 ft. sailboat (sailed in the Illinois river) is required to have life jackets for all passengers, at least one throwable PFD, a VHF radio, and yes, flares and a launcher, ie. gun.
Sometimes, the law DOES make sense.

Troy

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 03:18 AM

I like to carry flares AND bear bangers in the backcountry - a dedicated flare gun or pen flare will give you these two options if you don't find any for your weapon of choice.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 04:42 AM

What's a pen flare?

Sue

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 05:15 AM

Kind of denotes the size of the launcher; somewhat the size of a large pen. Look at my previous post and at the URL, you will see examples.

Re: Flare Shells - 01/14/06 05:17 AM

Another supplier, looks like about the same product.

http://www.macecanada.com/wilderness/Signal_Cartridges.htm

Pen Flare BIg Pic - 01/16/06 04:59 PM

What Skater said.
It's the white laucher, looks like a pen , hence the name