Spiderwire

Posted by: peanut

Spiderwire - 03/09/01 05:08 AM

Does anyone have any experience in using Spiderwire Braid? It seems that this Spectra fishing line, in 50 lb. test, is about as thin as 10 lb. test monofilament. I am considering adding 50 ft. to my mini kit. Is it as strong and/or thin as advertised? Any problems y'all know of? Since it is so apparently strong, could it replace brass or SS snare wire? Any thoughts y'all have will be appreciated.<br><br>a prodigal scout, just trying to be prepared.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Spiderwire - 03/09/01 06:08 AM

sounds excellent<br><br>but consider resistance when fricting , though the tension performance is excellent<br><br>

Re: Spiderwire - 03/09/01 06:11 AM

I have the monofiliment Spiderwire, and if braid works as well as this stuff does, I'm upgrading. I have pull a branch bigger than I am out of a pond when my hook got stuck and the line just would'nt break. It pulled and rolled the branch until the hook rolled out. Great Stuff !!!<br><br>
Posted by: Stefan

Re: Spiderwire - 03/09/01 02:54 PM

Althought fishing wire is of good use for tying, fishing and maybe even snaring (never tried personally) I would still carry one or two yards of stainless steel wire or brass/copper wire for campside repairs and for hanging pots over the fire. A very important task in a survival situation. Dental floss is also in my kit because if its immense strength and versatility (sewing, repairs, shelterbuilding, tying etc)...<br><br>Stefan, Sweden<br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

good stuff. - 03/09/01 06:11 PM

I have read articles where spec. ops. rely on this material extensively. If they rely on it, we certainly can trust its usefulness and durability!<br><br>
Posted by: peanut

Re: Spiderwire - Thanks - 03/10/01 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info, all. I'll be adding it soon to my kit<br><br>a prodigal scout, just trying to be prepared.

Re: Spiderwire - - 03/20/01 04:01 AM

I loaded spiperwire on two rigs last summer while fishing for Kings here in Alaska.. and found the following to be true: it is almost impossible to break, but, it does tend to bind up when fighting a heavy fish. It also get's kinked and then tangled quite easily. Finally, it tends to slip knots when heavy tension is on the line. All in all, I found it to be more trouble than worthwhile and will NOT use it this season<br><br>