Low Impact campfires

Posted by: Anonymous

Low Impact campfires - 01/09/02 07:41 AM

It's a sworn duty that I leave little or no trace behind me. Lighting wood fires outdoors is a great passion for me, and my usual procedure is to use a folding shovel to dig a 1 metre squared hole, about 8 inches deep, and line it with some logs. I've tried this method on a grassy hillside, and managed to leave no trace a fire was ever there. The embers should be put into another smaller hole dug within the fireplace, so they are at least 12-16 inches below ground level. Before putting the original soil and sods back the scorched earth should be ploughed up a little bit to break the crust. This way the grass will show little sign of withering in 2 weeks time.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Low Impact campfires - 01/12/02 06:40 PM

Outstanding! If more people like you existed in the world, my camping experiences would be different. My friends and I always seem to end up in a place that was previously used. Shotgun shells all over the place, broken beer bottles, mustard and ketchup packets seem to be the norm out there. We always end up packing a big garbage bag full of other peoples crap along with all the trash we pack out. More power to you, and thanks for being so conciencous.<br><br>