Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!?

Posted by: Frankie

Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/07/05 09:37 PM

Hi everyone,

Is it prefefable to wear a union suit or two-piece undergarments (long johns)? Is a union suit more performant?
exemple:
web page

Thanks
Frankie
Posted by: camerono

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/07/05 11:31 PM

I have used both 2 piece and union suits. First point to consider with the union suit is can you use the bathroom without having to take it all of the way off. The link you gave said that the suit has a FULL zip around situation going so you can “fully relive” yourself. I can’t really tell but it looks like the zipper only comes down to the front crotch area. All union suits I have had came equipped with a convenient flap in the back.

Second is the temperature. Even in zero weather I have found that while huffing and puffing through the snow I still get sweaty with just a thin shirt on. Layering is obviously very important and it is a little difficult to take off a thermal union suit in 3 feet of snow.

So I guess my conclusion would have to be. I really wish I could use a Union suit while hiking because they are Soooo comfortable. But in the interest of ease of use, layering etc I have converted to the 2 piece situation.

I have on occasion used the military sock / shirt tail suspenders to keep thermals tucked in and those heavy wool socks pulled up.

Cameron
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/08/05 01:44 AM

I'll stick with two pieces because it seems more convenient.

Thank you.
Frankie
Posted by: 7k7k99

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/08/05 01:50 AM

frankly, that full zip around zipper seems quite dangerous to me and seems to be an injury waiting to happen, think I'll pass on that one
Posted by: Susan

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/08/05 01:54 AM

It seems to me that if the top or the bottom gets wet, you lose the whole thing. In two pieces, you can discard one (and maybe even dry it), but at least you wouldn't have to freeze in it.

Sue
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/08/05 05:58 AM

Two piece suits are superior in use for all the mentioned reasons. The caveat is to get a top long enough to adequately overlap the pants for full protection.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Survival clothing; cold weather; union suits!? - 11/10/05 07:02 AM

The only true advantage a union suit has is that regardless how you move you don't end up with a gap between the 2 halves. But a good overlap will deal with most of the problem.