Do you secure your keys to your belt loop?

Posted by: Frankie

Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 03:02 PM

Hi, I know this is not directly related to survival but it is related to everyday carry. I used to always carry my keys in my right pocket but I see many people attach it to their belt loop with a carabiner or a "dogclip" or hook clip, snap hook (I don't know the correct nomenclature). I recently made a copy of my important keys that I keep in my wallet but I also attach a Photon II and a mini Fox40 to my keychain as it is recommended here. So I was just wondering if you attach your keys to your belt loop and what you think is the most secure way to do it.

Thanks
Frankie
Posted by: ProGunOne

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 03:58 PM

I used to use this method but after many worn out belt loops and having a couple break I switched to metal clip (stainless) that resmbles a money clip with a spring clip that slips onto a belt.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 03:58 PM

i use a steel carabinder thingy from a hardware store. Aluminium and plastic carabinders have eventually failed on me. It nice to know that something is holding you keys secure wenn your not standing. On some pants you will get the problem that the keys won't fit in to you pockets anymore, because they are to far away, but not with the once's i wear. The brass loop on the 5.11 pants is great for this purpose.
Posted by: wolf

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 04:00 PM

I clip them to a belt loop with a carabiner. I have only done that within the past 6 months - I ran out of room in my pockets...
Posted by: ProGunOne

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 04:06 PM

Similar to this

http://www.copquest.com/19-2240.htm
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 05:02 PM

i use a maxpedition key keeper....
[img]http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_keyper.htm[/img]
it works great and is very secure
Posted by: Vinosaur

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 05:56 PM

+1 on the Maxpedition Keyper. I use it every day at work for my work keys. As for home and about, I minimize my keys and prefer they go in the pocket.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 08:51 PM

I use an old biner my brother was going to retire becuase of some corrosion. MIght not hold him, and I'm not even remotely stupid enough to try to climb with it, but it holds my keys just fine.

To save wear on my jeans, I used to put a loop of gutted paracord around my belt. But I never noticed it made a difference with good jeans. With slacks I might to that, but I don't wear those very often.
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 10:07 PM

I used to clip my keys etc. to my belt loop, but have stopped doing that.

1. Afraid of loosing my keys, one of the guys I worked with several years ago lose his.

It was not a pretty sight, we were on service trucks, he did not have any spare keys for his service truck, his personal vehicle which was back at the shop or his house and other stuff.

His only salvation was that I was alson on the same service call in a different truck. We finally got his truck picked up several hours later and I drove him home. Boss wasn't happy with him, his wife ditto and he swore off belt loop clips for keys.

2. It is also extremely EASY for someone to remove the keys from your belt loop without your even realizing it. I did not believe just how easy until I watched someone take keys AND a wallet from someone while talking to him (face to face) with another person. (The person doing it was honest and only doing it to make a point, there were several others "standing around" that had been clued in before hand) and were interested in seeing if it was really "that easy to do".

Everything was returned to the "victim" immediately...but only AFTER the victim was asked to open his car (he was much chagrined to find his keys missing).

The follow-up question came as another shock to him when we asked him how much he thought it would cost to replace his keys and he unconciously reached for his wallet which was missing.

The lesson was concluded and we all parted as frineds still.

These two events made me think deeply and I subsequently made several changes in the way I carry stuff.

Regards,
Comanche7
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 11:00 PM

I don't. My keyring is quite large now, and I figure it's unlikely to drop out of my pocket without me noticing it. It's all threaded on a full-sized climbing carabiner, which I fondly hope would be useful for breaking glass if I ever need to, and there's 2 yards of parachord braided into a 10cm fob.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 11:21 PM

I heard theft of cell phones and leathermans and such from belts is getting popular so I;ve moved back to pocket carry as much as possible. The snap on my leatherman case is solid enough that I would feel if it gets opened but my keys and cell phone are all in my pockets now, preferably with a button or something to hold the button closed.
Posted by: 7k7k99

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 11:24 PM

I have a similar clip I use, it is much stronger than using a belt loop. [goes over the belt]. with this clip, you get a satisfying 'click' when the key ring goes into the clip, and it is not easy to get that key ring back off sometimes, which lessens the chance of someone taking them without your knowing about it

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 11:29 PM

I haven't heard of any such thefts in my area, you just have to be careful to protect what you have, there is always a criminal element seeking to take wallets, etc. In crowed areas, you just have to be vigilant. You can't hide everything from a potential thief. The unacceptable option is to carry nothing, which might just as well get you killed from a disappointed thief.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/02/05 11:47 PM

I don't thik its area specific, just more thefts of belt carried stuff in general because its an easier target.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 12:18 AM

I use a combined carry. Car keys are on a Maxpedition Keyper & usually dropped to hang inside pocket. House keys, etc. are carried in pocket.
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. The Maxpedition Keyper looks neat and I found a store in Canada where I can order Maxpedition products (sealsactiongear.com) or I will try to find a metal clip that slips onto a belt somewhere. Or other similar belt loop key holder as seen here : http://www.connectstores.com/mc/sp_1043.html but the Keyper looks better.

The 5.11 pants also look neat. It's a shame I can't try them on in a local store to check if they fit but I can order a pair in Canada at 511tactical.ca along with a Surefire flashlight.

Frankie
Posted by: Craig

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 03:36 PM

Quote:
So I was just wondering if you attach your keys to your belt loop and what you think is the most secure way to do it.

I tried that, but I dislike clinking and clanking as I walk. Also, if you need to run, such as after the cat when he dashes out the door, the keys swing wildly, wacking yourself in the side.

-- Craig

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 03:44 PM

usually the best place to find a metal clip for your keys is at a locksmith or larger store that makes duplicate keys, they usually have a display with blister packed key related items, key rings, etc
Posted by: IanPorter

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 08:10 PM

I have mine on a kobuton, then slide the kobuton between the waistband and me.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 08:28 PM

The clinking and clanking is the exact reason I started. On most floors, unless I'm wearijng heavy boots, I apparently make no detectable noise walking. After scareing the snot and other secretions out of a few people.....

I'd like a back up alarm, for my front.

Re: Do you secure your keys to your belt loop? - 10/03/05 10:03 PM

I used to do that, until one day I forgot and went to the bathroom in the stall and the keys and the kubotan ended up in the toilet. Not fun at all.