Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3

Posted by: Alejandro

Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3 - 09/16/05 05:33 PM

Hi Guys,
I just received my new Ontario RAT 3. It is a very handsome knife that seems strong and durable, however I will like to see it performing.
Does any one of you own one of this? What do you think about it?
Thanks + Regards
PS: I had the opportunity to attend, just for mistake because I was just working there, to the blade show in Atlanta on June and meet Doug, very nice guy he took his time to show me the new RSK, which by the way I plan get on my next trip to the US.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3 - 09/16/05 08:26 PM

I own the TAK in D2, a slightly bigger knife. It came with a rough ground edge, but it was easy enough to put a good edge on it. I finally got a chance to use it camping a few weeks ago. I split birch logs with my old favorite hatchet, the new Gerber mini-hatchet, and the TAK. I was surprised that batoning with the TAK split logs easier than my old favorite hatchet! The new Gerber pretty much sucked completely.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3 - 09/17/05 06:40 AM

I was looking at the RTAK for a long time. I think the Rat knives are more than adequate for most any rough duty knife job. I decided that the Swamp Rat Knives were probably superior and ordered a Battle Rat instead. It cost a bit more, but I think they have got just about the best steel/processing for the type of work a knife like that will do. They've had good reviews everywhere I've looked, whereas the Rat knives haven't fared quite as well. Don't get me wrong, I think both companies are making good products (not related, by the way, Swamp Rat is kin to the Busse knife mfr). You will get your money's worth with either line. IMO, Swamp Rat is superior, and you will likewise pay more for that. They also have a larger product line.
Posted by: brian

Re: Guys any comments on the Ontario RAT 3 - 09/21/05 01:35 AM

I havea Rat 3. In short I love the knife but hate the coating. I removed the coating from mine and it's great now. Removing the coating and adding a 30* back bevel made it much better for working with wood.