small penknives.

Posted by: Anonymous

small penknives. - 12/12/01 05:36 PM

Could anyone recommend a good quality, general purpose locking penknife, which is no more than 3 inches when closed.<br>i currently carry either an opinel,or small sak on my key chain which im looking to replace.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: small penknives. - 12/12/01 09:01 PM

Dangerman, knives are up there with girlfriends,cars and dogs in personal preferences. What is your price range, steel preferences, desired features? You may want to check out www.knifeforums.com and bladeforums.com . Both of your current knives, for all their shortcomings have filled lots of pockets. Don't empty those same pockets of money until you find YOUR knife.
Posted by: Ade

Re: small penknives. - 12/13/01 03:40 AM

Dangerman,<br><br>Try the Cold Steel Tuff-Lite or the Spyderco Ladybug. I use the CS, but I've often thought that on such a small knife, serrations might be a good thing, so keep the Spyderco in mind.<br><br>Ade
Posted by: Craig

Re: small penknives. - 12/13/01 05:04 PM

I must agree with Chris.<br><br>Pocketknives are a personal preference, but I will recommend you look at the Kershaw Silver Spur because I have one. I use it as my office carry. Its blade locks. The blade is 1.5 inches and the knife itself is 2.5 inches closed.

Re: small penknives. - 12/14/01 06:03 AM

I second what Chris said.<br><br>There are a wealth of options out there, and it's best to look around for a while until one really feels 'right'. I suggest checking out a well-stocked sporting goods store, where they will let you fondle the merchandise.<br><br>That said, I just picked up a Schrade Lightweight - 2" blade with Zytel handles, lockback, "Schrade+" steel, lanyard hole in the handle, and it's nice. From the package, the blade was 'hair popping' sharp - like a scalpel. It's very light; I don't have a postal scale but I'd guess no more than 1.5 oz. It cost about $10.00 at Wal-Mart.<br><br>I have had very good luck with Schrade products in the past, and so I am looking forward to giving this one a workout and see if it's up to par.<br><br>

Re: small penknives. - 12/14/01 12:33 PM

if I was you I would keep with the opinel. I think thy are great knives,<br>thy are relitvly cheap compeard with many other knives and are exalent value for money, ( in france thy are very cheap!). and I've got more work out of my size 7 opinel then any other knife i've had.<br>I love the carben steel thy are made out of. you can get a really nice egde on them very easaly. <br>what sive opinel do you have? <br>because if the present one is too big then there allways smaller ones!!!!!<br>