pots and pans

Posted by: Anonymous

pots and pans - 03/05/01 11:10 PM

In my opinion a very important part of a wilderness survival kit is a cooking utensil. I rank it third in importance to the knife and fire starting device. It allows you to cook food, purify water by boiling, food storage, and countless other uses. <br><br> What, if anything, do you guys include in your kits? <br><br>In my survival vest at the moment resides an aluminum pot with lid from a scout mess kit. It is from an old kit and is flatter than most modern ones. <br><br>I prefer something that can holds at least 8 fl ounces, even in smaller kits.<br><br>What is your take?<br><br>Sincerely;<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: pots and pans - 03/05/01 11:27 PM

Ignore the myths of aluminum health risks,but remember not to put acidic food in them.I carry the classic stainless steel sierra cupon at the minimum.On the other extreme,when horse packing I wouldnt leave without my cast Iron Dutch oven! <br><br>

Re: pots and pans - 03/06/01 01:35 AM

I , myself , very non-professional - make one myself from a coke aluminium can. Light weight , compact , free of charge.<br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

try this URL - 03/06/01 02:35 AM

The NATO mess tin looks to be your ideal cooking utensil. This is the same unit recommended in the SAS Survival Guide. http://www.sass-kit.fsbusiness.co.uk/<br><br>

Re: pots and pans - 03/06/01 03:47 AM

In my primary aviation survival kit (about 14 lbs, housed in a red Cordura nylon pack with carrying handles) I carry a Mountain Safety Research stainless steel pot with lid and folding handle. The pot has a capacity of 475 ml and is some 4.5-5 in in diameter and perhaps 2.5-3 in tall with the lid and folding handle latched across the top. The volume inside is taken up by 8 coffee filters (used for filtering out sand and other gunk from water), instant chicken soup packs, salt, pepper, and sugar packets, etc.<br><br>Note that one benefit of the tobacco/Altoids tin style of small personal kits is that one can also boil water in the metal container.<br><br><br><br>

Re: try this URL - 03/06/01 07:26 AM

Great Site thank you<br><br>

Re: try this URL - 03/08/01 08:17 AM

Thanks Andy. I think I'll order myself one of the compact ones<br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

We expect a full report! (nm) - 03/08/01 03:19 PM

no message<br><br>