10 Day Mission - Getting Packed

Posted by: MartinFocazio

10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 02:46 PM

I've been put on "standby" for a 10 day deployment to New Orleans. My combination of skills as Firefighter/Firs Responders/Ham Radio Operator/Computer Geek has been noticed in some database somewhere.

If I ship out, it will be Monday. I'll let you all know what happens.

I need to buy a dozen MRE's in a hurry, dont' want to raid the family supply, can't find any around here...all sold out or not in stock...

Have some other issues to discuss w/r/t security. PM me for an offline discussion.

Posted by: jshannon

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 03:11 PM

Good luck Martin. Be safe.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 03:13 PM

So lets make this a general, hypothethical discussion.

Why would I be concerned about?

Your want to be careful about the water, wash frequently and keep any wouds covered. Sunscreen!

Communication is an issue, as is getting power. I'd learn & carry a 2 m ham radio, also my cell and expect it not to work.
Batteries!

Bring a gps and a map, in case you lose your group and need to walk out. ( also a bunch of plastic sheetig to catch rain water)

Life jacket and mabye a ballistic vest, Baby wipes!

MRE's? Either check with friends or raid your family supply and mail order some new ones today to replace.

TRO
Posted by: fordwillman

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 06:32 PM

Hi Martin,
Best wishes for you as you go! My wife and I are "supposed" to leave in 10 days for a two week stint feeding FEMA agents in Hattiesburg, MS. The situation is still very fluid, so not sure yet, but I want to go and help, if I can.
I am a Ham op also and plan on taking radios and a trailer of extra supplies.
Posted by: Ron

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 07:04 PM

Right now I would think hauling MRE's to New Orleans would be like hauling wine to France.

Taking some food with you is probably a good idea, but would at least some NOT MRE food items be a better idea?

Posted by: fordwillman

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 07:29 PM

Hi Ron,
We, at least, are not taking MRE's. The food that we will be serving, will be provided by the organization. We (myself, wife and another couple) are taking a small trailer of toothepaste, wipes, toothbrushes, insect repellant, and many other small items--this is just our own personal contribution to the disaster, but a good comment.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 07:50 PM

Twice as much of the non-food consumables as you think you will need, or as close as you can manage.

For the MREs, I have to echo TRO- take what you have, and order more to replace it. It is a window of negative impact until the replacements get in, but I don't know if there is much option. Supliment with cans and wetpacked ham/tuna/chicken, rice (heavy, but you can treat them like MREs for the short term), and vac packed dehydrateds.

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 08:32 PM

where can I see a nutritional values and close-up picture of an MRE? - thanks
(Newbie and crawling out of ignorance :-))
Posted by: Ron

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 08:34 PM

Last fall when Ivan hit South Alabama, my parents were without power for 10 days. (They had a generator and enough food to have lasted for months before the storm hit. Once I found out they had made it through the storm OK, I didn't worry too much about them.)

As soon as the trees could be cut out of the roads, there were trucks in passing out MRE's and bottled water. It wasn't until the power was restored and trucks could get in that the grocery stores could reopen. While they had plenty of food, my mother ran out of bread because there was no place to get it.

What I was trying to get at is that MRE's are the standard food that gets passed out. It is the stuff you are talking about that is hard to get.

Best of luck. Take care of yourself.

From what I gather cell phone reception is bad in some areas. Last fall it was three days after the storm before I finally managed to get through to my sister, the first member of the family I could reach. Make it a point to check in with friends and family at home while you are gone when you get a chance and let everyone know you are OK. Not knowing is hard on the people outside the area, especially when most of what you see on TV is the negative sides of what is happening.

Posted by: KG2V

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 09:02 PM

MRE? Those are the green bags you see the Army eating out of - they are VERY high in calories, and usually have all the vitamins you need - 2 are meant to keep a soldier in combat feed for a day - for days on end

I saw something the other day about actual firefights/special forces missions - the can't keep it up for too long - you actually burn so many calories, that it's almost impossible to EAT as many as you burn
Posted by: picard120

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 09:07 PM

I wish martin be safe in valley of death. May the force be with you and protect you always. The force will guide you through danger.
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/02/05 11:14 PM

Good fortune, safety, and success to all of you who are deploying to help. Work hard, don't be a burden, do your best, and please share your experiences and observations when you return - I'm pretty sure that many more of us will have a first-hand opportunity to assist during the months ahead.
Posted by: rbruce

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/03/05 04:27 AM

Check out mreinfo.com.

Robert
Posted by: ProGunOne

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/03/05 05:05 AM

I have some extras. Will have to check on exp. dates though to see if still good. I would have no problem shipping them to you, but I don't think they would get to you in time? Paul
Posted by: sstrauss

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/03/05 06:16 AM

Make sure you get shots for any diseases that are klikely to be there.
Also, a supply of antibiotics might not be a bad idea.

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/03/05 06:20 AM

Please provide us with a logistical stream through which we can support you remotely.

Understood that you can't say until you get on the ground and know the prameters. Just let us know your supply lines.

You have a lot of friends here. Keep that in mind.

Re: 10 Day Mission - Getting Packed - 09/03/05 11:44 AM

Re: the shots -- check when your last tetanus shot was. Adults are supposed to have them every 10 years, but if you haven't had one in the last 3-5 years, and if you have the time (and your GP has the stuff available), you might want to get a booster shot before you go.