Combination survival tools

Posted by: Craig

Combination survival tools - 03/02/01 03:36 PM

For amateurs such as myself, what do you folks think of the combination survival items that can be found at:<br>http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998ASAgAA/XA917S ?<br><br>You'll have to copy and paste the URL in sections into your browser window, or go to www.cabelas.com and search for "Survival Compasses." Whatever you do, don't visit www.cabela.com. Trust me on this.<br><br>Craig<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

I have all of them - 03/02/01 06:19 PM

Believe it or not, I have all of the shown devices.<br>1. Plastic whistle/match safe/ compass. Received as a child. Bulky, Junk.<br>2. Silva brass matchsafe. Beautifully made, but the cap is press fit, not screw down. It sticks very easily. I lubed it up as directed (vaseline). It seized so bad I had to remove the cap with vice grips. Heavy!!!<br>3. Whistle/ compass. Bought the same unit from wal-mart. Pretty smart but the compass is inferior and the whistle is inferior to: 1. Storm (duh!) 2. Fox 40 (duh!) 3. ACR flat whistle (really?!?)<br>Moral of the story: 1. Get a fox 40 whistle 2. If you want a micro-compass, go with the miniature Suunto watch band compass from www.actiongear.com that has a pointer and racheting bezel. 3. Get a mag/ flint firestarter such as one made by Doan (avail. at Walmart) or Done Right. 4. For matches, get a vial of lifeboat matches (www.actiongear.com), dump out half of them and replace with Diamond brand strike anywhere kitchen matches. All of the above are the proven, reliable alternatives. The combination of the above weighs less than the Silva matchsafe and has less bulk than the whistle/matchsafe/compass job. IMHO.<br><br>

Re: I have all of them - 03/02/01 09:12 PM

Thanks for replying, AndyO. Rats, and they look so cool, too. I guess I was just looking for new toys. <br><br>I already have a Mini Fox 40 whistle and a Suunto Comet (combination button compass and thermometer). They're part of my kit. <br><br>I also bought an plastic orange match vial at a local army-navy store and loaded it with Ohio Blue Tip strike anywhere matches. I have found, however, that you can't really strike them ANYWHERE and get results. Well, I can't, anyway. Most of the time the white phosphorus tip falls off! I also found the striker built into the bottom of the plastic vial is useless.<br><br>That's when I sighed with frustration and thought about getting a Zippo lighter, or maybe one of those butane-powered micro-torches available from hobby shops.<br><br>Craig<br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

an idea? - 03/02/01 10:49 PM

IMHO, the perfect match case would be a mini-mag lite sawed off about 3.5" from the back end and plugged. It would be handy, reasonably light, waterproof and easy to get into. AHA! Plug the new hole with a compass?!?<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: an idea? - 03/03/01 04:22 AM

Silva USA makes an aluminum matchcase with a small liquid compass(basic markings,illuminated that plugs the top with double O-rings and string lanyard).I got mine some time ago from Campmors.<br><br>
Posted by: jet

Re: I have all of them - 03/06/01 11:06 AM

Hi Craig,<br>Actually, that striker built into the bottom of the orange plastic match vial is a flint for striking sparks with a steel striker. It's not meant for igniting matches, which is why is fails so miserably.<br><br>

Re: I have all of them - 03/06/01 01:53 PM

Yeesh. That's an inept way to build a match holder.<br><br>