Yuck...tin in my soup!

Posted by: Anonymous

Yuck...tin in my soup! - 11/30/01 03:24 AM

About a week ago I picked up both a Leatherman Wave and a SAK Rucksack as well as a Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor. I'll report more after I've played with all of them a bit more.<br><br>But I just did open a can of Campbell's condensed chicken soup...half of it with the SAK and half with the wave. I sat reading the web while eating my soup out of a tupperware container. Only in the last bite I saw there was a piece of the can (it's tin, right?) Another one remained in the tupperware. They were small pieces about three quarters of a centimer long, and pretty thin. <br><br>I wouldn't be surprised if I ate one or two pieces before I noticed them. I assume I should just sleep it off, right? I mean I shouldn't be worried about health effects or anything...?<br><br>I'm pretty sure it was the Wave that caused this, not the SAK...but I'll do more testing eventually (although I'm not going to eat anything opened from either until I've recovered from the trauma (grin)...I've decided I like my Oxo can opener much more!!)<br><br>Anyone else experienced this?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Yuck...tin in my soup! - 11/30/01 03:50 AM

I can't speak for the Wave, but I have opened a jillion cans with my orig Leatherman PST and a Super Tool. Never have seen any metal in my soup. Ditto with a P-38. Not being a big fan of SAK's (please don't hate me), I'd blame it.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Yuck...tin in my soup! - 11/30/01 04:25 AM

This too, shall pass. P-38s rule.
Posted by: Neanderthal

Prmitive sharpening - 11/30/01 05:16 AM

I am a fan of Rc60+ steels. In a survival situation, might it be wiser to go with a softer steel, one that would be more easily sharpened with available natural materials ?
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Primitive sharpening - 11/30/01 06:30 AM

My base 'survival knife', a Cold Steel SRK, has a small diamond plate hone, large metal match and ceramic hone secured to the sheath under wrapped paracord. A second plate is taped to my pocket tin lid. Some knives, such as the AF survival knife are 'soft' for ease of sharpening. I tried it with the provided stone and quickly switched to a full Arkansas set before arctic survival school. First my edge succumbed.Tthen the small stone broke in half. I sharpened the blade on an expedient rock. Then the blade snapped splitting wood. Only sharp knives are interesting, and like firemaking I carry more than one, with suitable sharpening tools.