long term storage of cloting.

Posted by: Tjin

long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 12:00 PM

will your clothing start to stink or something wenn it's stored for longterms in a waterproof bag?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 12:34 PM

I'm concerned about that, too. Hence I've taken to throwing a handful of cedar balls into each clothing bag before packing...

M
Posted by: Tjin

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 02:09 PM

not sure what cedar balls are, i do know mothballs. But'i'm not sure how they are going to react wenn it's compressed, kicked all over the place, exposed to warm and cold tempature. The clothing should be wearable out of the bag.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 02:26 PM

Cedar balls are little round balls made of cedar wood...

M
Posted by: norad45

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 02:38 PM

Like the Sarge says, cedar wood chips are a pleasant smelling way to keep things fresh. They reputedly also repel insects.

Regards, Vince
Posted by: brian

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/03/05 11:09 PM

Cedar is in fact good for repelling insects. At least the ones I encounter here in Texas. When I see ants near my tarp, tent, blanket (whatever I am sleeping in/on) l cut a fresh cedar branch (with foliage still attached) and toss it on the ground near the ants. Ten minutes lates, no more ants. If mosquitoes get to be a problem I throw a green branch on the fire. Couple minutes later and no more mosquitoes. My favorite place to hike and camp is a varitable cedar forest. There are so many excellent uses for the various parts of a cedar shrub/tree that I could easily devote an entire thread to it.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/04/05 07:05 AM

Since you are talking long term storage the best method is vacume packing. Ceder balls are almost as good as moth balls in keeping out moths but that is about all. That is the why of cedar chests and lined closets. With vacume packing by removing the air you also remove most of the moisture so less chance of mildew along with insect damage. It also reduces the storage size.

You have 2 choices. First that most people think about is the seal a meal systems. If you have them great. They also have them for cloths storage. I.E. storing your winter or summer seasonal cloths. You may see them from time to time advertised on TV. I have also seen them at triple A. You stuff the bags full. They have a one way valve designed to be hooked to a vacume cleaner hose to suck the air out. They come in several sizes and are reusable.
Posted by: frenchy

Re: long term storage of cloting. - 06/04/05 08:08 AM

Same system without the need of an vacuum cleaner :
Eagle Creek sell " compressor packs " (different sizes) : those packs have a one-way valve ; you put your clothes inside the pack, close the pack, roll it tight, thus expelling most of the air ; and that's it !
Sure, the vacuum is less that what you can get with a vacuum cleaner....