What can I take to Austria?

Posted by: Anonymous

What can I take to Austria? - 04/14/05 03:56 PM

I'm going to Austria for a few days - what am I permitted to carry, esp. knives? Can anyone point me to any web sites that give an official policy?

It is a last-minute trip (I leave this weekend) but I will have a day or two there to look around, maybe do some light hiking. I'm not worried about most of my PSK, but I just don't know the laws on knives and edged tools. I have an Opinel #7 that is cheap enough to risk losing, but the blade is over 3 inches, about 80mm.
I'm not sure what I'd rather see in the paper - "Yankee hiker lost in the Alps" or "Yankee thug smuggles weapons"

Thanks

Re: What can I take to Austria? - 04/14/05 04:29 PM

To clarify, I see a lot of conventional wisdom that says most knives are not a problem in most of Europe. In Austria specifically it looks like anything goes as long as it is not disguised as something else. But I would really like to have something somewhat official, to print out and stick in my briefcase next to my TSA regulations.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: What can I take to Austria? - 04/14/05 05:30 PM

Do a websearch for the nearest Austrian consulate and ask. If you encounter any problems " I talked to herr/Frau___ at the consulate and was told __ carries a lot more diplomatic wieght than Chris at this website called ETS said_____. You can save 50% of the airline security hassles and buy something over there. A shop that sells knives will likely know some great hikes and sell the traditional hiking staff badges once completed.
Posted by: bountyhunter

Re: What can I take to Austria? - 04/15/05 03:03 PM

Alwayslost:

I would go with "Yankee thug smuggles weapons", as you will get a lot more mail from women that way. From what I have heard, prison "roadees" can be intelligent, attractive, rich, and all ages.

Check the typewriter laws as I understand it was once illegal for private citizens to possess typewriters in Austria.

Tell them you know "GOV. ARNOLD" personally and watch the welcome doors fly open.

Bountyhunter

Re: What can I take to Austria? - 04/19/05 09:27 AM

Good one. I am in his home town, drove by his stadium.

I've seen a couple of knife shops, and a cool but very pricey REI-type sporting goods store. Most of the window stuff looks like cheap tourist junk. The shops close before I'm off work, though...