Camp Oven

Posted by: Anonymous

Camp Oven - 11/12/01 11:49 PM

Hi, I am thinking about getting the coleman camp oven to compliment the Athena butane burner I use for emergency cooking. Anyone with any experence with this camp oven<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Martineau Gauda
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Camp Oven - 11/13/01 03:21 PM

I asssume you are talking about the folding sheet metal gadget marketed as an oven by Coleman. I bought one of them a few years ago for use in a back country base camp from which we were working on a project. I wasn't impressed - temperature control was erratic and the interior volume was quite small. Much better was our propane barbeque used with the lid down. I would prefer a dutch oven as well for baking most basic items.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Camp Oven - 11/13/01 04:16 PM

Which Coleman product is it? If it is one of the many folding stoves forget it! These are packer stoves,AKA sheepherder stoves. Most have very thin guage bodies which burn out after any sustained use.As Don said, heat control is erratic and volume small.I was warmer in my premium bag than a companion sleeping next to the beast in a wall tent ( and he was up all night feeding it). What is your intended use for the stove? I also have 4 dutch ovens and a propane stove . If our european members cannot acquire any, look for african importers. There is a round cast iron equivelent in many sizes. I cooked ; bread,fruit cobbler,beans and stew the evening of the Northridge earthquake in my grandmother's backyard.