Leatherman Wave and Charge Review

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/12/05 08:01 PM

http://www.equipped.org/lm_charge-wave.htm

Victorinox SwissTool Spirit is next in line.
Posted by: billvann

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/20/05 07:57 PM

From the review:

"The Charge models also come with a pair of accessories (available separately ($5)), a removable pocket clip and a quick-release lanyard ring, quite a bit larger than the built-in one. These will also fit the Wave, but are not included with it."

I'm fairly certain from the photos that it's unlikely that they'll fit only the new Wave and not the old model, correct?

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/20/05 08:24 PM

They fit only the Charge and new Wave models. They do not fit the original Wave.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/21/05 11:16 PM

I was wondering what people's opinon was in general (and Doug's in particular) about the overall quality and construction of the new Charges and Waves.

I had heard some bad reviews about the fit and finish of these tools over at bladeforums.com and when I handled the new Charge and Wave at a local REI store it seemed to confirm that they seemed stiffer to operate and the fit and finish seemed a little sloppier than it should, especially when compared side-by-side to a SwissTool which they also had there.

I will save my own personal choice for another post but suffice it to say I'd require some convincing before putting the money into either of the Charge models and am curious to see what others who have handled/used these tools think about them.
Posted by: raiderrescuer

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/23/05 04:48 PM

I too, handled a Leatherman Charge XTI...I was turned off by how easily the bits just slipped in/out of the bit holder on the Leatherman. Seems to me I would end up losing the bits and don't know how sturdy the bit holder would be in the long run. There should be at least some kind of detent/spring to hold the bits in place.

On the other hand, I do own a First Gen. Wave...great tool !
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/23/05 09:12 PM

The bits don't come out easy on my Charge Ti. There's a little spring that latches onto a little notch on the bit. If the notch isn't there, or the spring is missing, I can see how the bits would just fall out, so maybe that's what was wrong with the one you saw.

I like my Charge Ti a lot!
Posted by: raiderrescuer

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/24/05 03:43 PM

It was brand new at G.I. Joe's...the bit had the notch, so the spring must have been missing !

Re: Leatherman Wave and Charge Review - 01/24/05 05:09 PM

Contact Leatherman for a warranty replacement.