wild Animal Attacks

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

wild Animal Attacks - 10/26/01 03:49 PM

We sometimes get queries about predatory animals . Remember Jesse Arbogast, the boy in Florida attacked in 2' surf by the shark? According to Sam Booher of the Pensacola News Journal, his heroic Uncle was chumming the water and had the shark on heavy tackle for two hours. The motive was an old one, profit. Jessie was bit when they ran into the surf to help land the animal. The Ranger who shot the shark testified to seeing the hook still in it's mouth. The stranger who helped had been there two hours helping to play the fish and hid the tackle. Animal attacks are rare, given the numbers of encounters. Of those I offer the preceding to think about.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: wild Animal Attacks - 10/26/01 05:30 PM

That's a good point. I've spent a lot of time hiking and camping, even have had bears in my campsite at night. The only wild animals that have ever tried to "attack" me were a mouse I was trying to catch in my front yard and a blue crab I was trying to catch in the surf. Both of them got a little piece of me. The mouse got away, the crab was delicious. <br><br>Wild animal attacks are not something that I worry about in most outdoor situations.