Alligators and sharks

Posted by: Anonymous

Alligators and sharks - 02/23/01 02:09 AM

I live in Florida and any ditching around the state brings up the good chance of running into alligators, sharks, bears, and yes panthers.<br> <br>Any suggestions on how to survive a ditching at sea or in swampy area with those nasty critters?(not to worried about bears and panthers)<br> <br>I have wondered about carrying a small firearm that could be fired underwater ( navy seal style). Maybe this is a little crazy but what might work? Any suggestions?<br> <br>Thanks, <br><br>
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Alligators and sharks - 02/23/01 10:37 PM

Canon,<br><br>First and foremost, forget about discharging a firearm underwater. It simply isn't practical or safe, regardless of what you may have read or seen on TV or the movies. Just don't do it.<br><br>In the grand scheme of things, neither alligators nor snakes are a big danger. For the most part, they don't want anything more to do with you than you do with them. <br><br>If you are in a raft and not splashing around, you're not likely going to appear an attractive meal. <br><br>Many swampy areas have hillocks, which you'll want to find anyway, and a good fire will keep all the critters away (and no, it's not that difficult to start a fire in swamp land areas with hillocks or similar areas above water).<br><br>If you want to carry a firearm to use on something like an alligator, best carry something with a lot more stopping power than a small caliber. While you could stop one with a .22, you'd better be an incredible shot because you aren't going to get a second chance to put a bullet through the eye into the pea brain of that critter. As for snakes, for the average person and shotgun will be your best bet, but for the most part a long stick will discourage then just as well and keep them out of reach.<br><br>Again, I'd put concern about these critters way down my list of worries.<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive