Grappling Hook - Where To Buy

Posted by: Anonymous

Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/13/01 05:37 AM

Hello. I've been reviewing my inventory of weapons, survival equipment, food, medicines, etc., in terms of the current national emergency. I have lots of rope, but have never been able to find a grappling hook for throwing the rope and grabbing onto something. I went into a couple of camping and mountaineering supply places locally, asked for this, and was told that "grappling hooks are too dangerous to sell". [Strangely, they were selling rappelling equipment, axes, knives, etc.] If that's so, then it's strange that I have no problem buying guns, ammo and knives. I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE!!! Does anyone know where I can get a grappling hook, either fixed or folding type.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Straightshootin<br><br>

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/13/01 05:55 AM

The only ones I've seen recently are the so-called Ninja grappling hooks, try - www.spyhq.com/survival/grapple.htm for a look.<br><br>Otherwise you could try a nautical supplies retailers. Quite a few of the chandlers in the UK usually had some available - maybe in the US too.<br><br>
Posted by: win

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/13/01 09:35 AM

email www.tripleaughtdesign.com<br>You will find the lightest folding grappling hooks made for military special forces on their "whats new' section.<br>Good luck<br>Warmest wishes,<br>Oliver<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/13/01 04:02 PM

If you want to practice safely, I suggest tieing up a "monkey's fist", which is described on some of the knot tieing sites and books available.What goes up, must come down, assuming we miss!<br><br>
Posted by: win

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/13/01 04:26 PM

Here is the link to make it easy for you:<br>http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/grabber.htm<br>Warmest wishes,<br>Oliver<br><br>

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/14/01 02:38 AM

If you contemplate using a grappling hook in an outdoors vertical climbing environment (rock or mountain climbing) I can honestly say that a grappling hook would not be worth carrying. There are far more effective items one could carry for the equivalent weight. Despite the movies, it would be extremely risky to climb up a rope secured by a tossed grappling hook. I have climbed for over forty years and volunteered for search and rescue for over twenty, plus some similar job related activities. Use of grappling hook - zero. Times I wished I had a grappling hook - zero.<br><br>In an urban situation, it might work out differently, but the basic problem is you are trusting everything to an anchor whose security you cannot evaluate adequately.<br><br>I would recommend a good set of cams, nuts, and camming devices, along with instruction and practice in their use.<br><br>

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/14/01 05:28 PM

You can go to http://shopping.yahoo.com/ and search for grappling hook.
Posted by: Craig

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/15/01 12:34 PM

I'd love to have a grappling hook. Then again, I think I've seen "The Poseidon Adventure" way too many times! I'd be afraid to use it, but just having one would be cool.
Posted by: Craig

Re: Grappling Hook - Where To Buy - 10/15/01 12:37 PM

Try this: http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/grabber.htm

Re: Grappling Hook - Thanks! - Here's The Story Behind Why I Want One - 10/20/01 09:11 AM

Hey, wow, thanks everyone for all of the great replies! I believe I'll go with the high end grappling hook sold by Triple Aught Design. <br><br>I definitely wasn't thinking of doing serious mountain climbing with this--also, I have zero experience with true mountain climbing. <br><br>I was thinking of the kind of situation I found myself in once. A sudden heavy rain at a literal rate of over 1O inches per hour for 2 hours caused flash flooding while I was out driving [fortunately in a fully insured rental car]. My car was, with almost no warning, floating in 4 feet of water, with water leaking in. The flood water was flowing fast downhill, even though the local slope was only about 1O degrees [there were much steeper slopes further "upstream"]. I decided to get out of the car, and almost made it to "shore" on a retail business street at 9pm. The water was now shoulder deep. Suddenly, I was knocked over by something hitting me flowing under the water, and I was tumbling out of control. It took about 5 minutes before I was able to stabilize myself, and even then, I was just barely staying in the same place in the turbulent flow. At that point, someone "on shore" was trying to throw me an extension cord to grab. The wind was blowing so hard that the cord could never make it to me. Finally, I had the luck to be helped "to shore" by a very talented swimmer who later told me over a meal that he was a competitive body surfer from Costa Rica. Definitely my lucky day.<br><br>Ever since then, I have never driven any car without taking my "emergency kit"--of note here are several life vests and a lot of fluorescent yellow half inch rope. I tied a 5 lb weight plate on the end to give me some mass to throw, but I had always wanted a grappling hook to give me the best chance. <br><br>A grappling hook and rope along with some physical strength [have been a weightlifter for 25 years] would seem to be a universal survival appliance for many situations both foreseen and unforeseen.<br><br>Although being prepared for such emergencies may not relate directly to the national emergency at hand, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME, and once burned, lesson learned. There's no point in me being stoked on weapons, ammo, gas masks, antibiotics, medical supplies [I'm an MD] and food unless I have it ALL together. <br><br>Again, thanks so much, and I'm learning a lot from this forum which I only discovered last week!<br><br>Straightshootin

Re: Grappling Hook - Thanks! - Here's The Story Behind Why I Want One - 10/20/01 03:16 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing it. I think triple aught design has some great stuff.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Grappling Hook - Thanks! - Here's The Story Behind Why I Want One - 10/20/01 03:42 PM

Excellent story! You may also wish to acquire some manner of helmet, such as the motorcycle 'beanie pots' in a bright color. You will have greater visibility and retain peripheral vision. The Coast Guard uses a linethrowing rifle, based on the old 03 Springfield and Remington 1917s. I acquired a Greener harpoon rifle based on the martini action through the old H.&R. company and modified it for the same application.