Source for Tobacco Tins

Posted by: AndyO

Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/17/01 05:08 AM

Does anybody out there know of a source for tobacco tins suitable for a small pocket kit? All of the local tobacco vendors in my area have not been of much assistance.<br><br>
Posted by: Greg

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/17/01 03:37 PM

The cheap way is to buy an altoids tin (I like the cinnamon<br>ones,myself). If you have a Starbucks near you, check out<br>their mints containers for feasiblity. I have a semi-curved<br>plastic box that I got at Campmor. It's even green colored.<br>For the traditionalists, BCB seems to be the source. There<br>is a website that lists tins:<br><br>http://www.sass-kit.fsbusiness.co.uk<br><br>Click on the 'catalogue' on the left, and <br>then choose survival and scroll waaaay down <br>almost to the end. <br>1.25 British Pounds, I believe.<br><br>Other than that, you might try your local counter-culture<br>"Head" shop and ask for "Stash" containers. They will be<br>colorful and bizarre, but a little thinner and elbow grease<br>should fix that.<br>There is also a guy on Bladeforums who sells tins but <br>you'll have to hunt for his posts. I can help if all else fails...<br><br>BTW, should you find a good source, let the Forum know.<br><br>There are always people looking.<br><br>-Greg<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/17/01 07:06 PM

Greg,I just gave up on Altoids.The binder and base is made from cattlebone derived calcium.Does the word bovine spongiforum encephaly(mad cow disease) mean anything?They have calcium stock reserves from older sources.<br><br>
Posted by: AndyO

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/17/01 07:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I currently use an altoids tin, but I would rather have something a tad larger and a tad more water resistant before the tape wrapping. <br><br>

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/18/01 12:58 AM

go to www.MajorSurplusNSuply.com on sale @ 6for 9.95,swedish notionsbox.Highly polished heavy aluminum 1 3/16x4 7/8x3 1/8. stock number is 8-4636.# is 1-800-441-8855<br><br>
Posted by: Greg

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 02/18/01 07:40 AM

Yeah, it means plenty! Bleah! Thanks for the warning-I didn't realize that.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Shoe polish containers - 02/21/01 04:09 PM

Somewhere long ago someone suggested using shoe polish tins. They have to be air tight so the shoe polish doesn't evaporate. They have a handy little opener built into the side. They are round and mostly black or brown so kind of outdoors colored. They are only $2 even if you throw out the polish. <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 04/11/01 03:47 PM

Chris um tried your web address and couldn't get to work please could you confirm<br><br>www.MajorSurplusNSuply.com<br><br>

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 04/11/01 04:35 PM

oops! its MajorSurplusNSurvival.com its on Doug's retailer list if you have any trouble,just click his link.<br><br>
Posted by: chuuucky

Re: Source for Tobacco Tins - 04/13/01 02:26 PM

Check www.consolidatedplastics.com. search site for "seamless slip-cover cans"; round, flat or deep styles, in sizes from 1-1/2" dia. up to 7-1/2", full cases only. Cheers.<br><br>