Lessons Learned

Posted by: billvann

Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 02:44 PM

It is ironic that urban survival section just started days before this nation's worst tragedy. One distinction I'd hope the forum makes in this new direction is that it focus upon "survival in an urban environment" vs. "Survivalists." As has been mentioned in the past, there are other sites better suited for the latter’s topic.<br><br>I work in a tall building downtown Chicago. It's about a half-mile south of the Hancock Center and a mile north of the Sears Tower. The Aon building, formally the Standard Oil Building is about a half-mile east and little south of me. While I doubt that my building would have been a viable target for a terrorist attack, such as Tuesday's, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. <br><br>There are several lessons I have learned as a result of Tuesday's event.<br><br>While our building was not closed, most folks left for home anyway. I filled up my water bottle and grabbed a small juice bottle from a conference room where a scheduled meeting never took place. I put both in my backpack and kept it nearby in case I had to "bug out" in a hurry.<br><br>I have a few other items in my backpack, such as spare meds and small penknife (key chain type). I also have screwdriver with interchangeable tips , spare keys and glasses (I wear contacts). I also keep my key ring and train pass in there. Finally, there are misc. work related items (mail, pens, paper, etc.)<br><br>Tuesday I realized how vulnerable I am. I was not in any danger, but we never know how or when we may be put into a situation of danger, and I am not properly prepared.<br><br>I am going to prepare a small kit for storage here at work. In an emergency situation, I'll swap out my laptop for the emergency kit (easy choice <s>). So I'm thinking of getting a plastic storage box, like a Plano fish tackle box that’s roughly the same size and shape. That way it will fit into the backpack, which is designed for laptops, in the same compartment.<br><br>I usually fill up my water bottle from the fountain (bubbler for those in WI.) right before I leave so it's nice and cold. I will now leave it full at all times. Then I will water my plants at the end of the day and refill it so it's nice and cold for the train ride home.<br><br>Among the items in the kit I will include several paper respirator masks. The images of folks fleeing the WTC and of the rescue crews gasping from the dust and smoke are enough to convince me that it's a necessity. (BTW, which organization in NYC had the foresight to stock thousands of them, available within minutes of the tragedy?). I think a pair of eye goggles are also in order.<br><br>I am also reconsidering getting a cell phone. My wife has one but I don't since I'm usually near a phone all day long. At home I grab her's when needed. But I now see it as a real valuable communication device in an emergency.<br><br>A whistle, Photon light, and candy bars will also see their way in the kit or on my person. I'm going to scan through the list of survival kit items to see what makes sense for this type of kit. Some items I will not keep in the plastic container as they should be in the pack or on my person at all times, like the photon and the whistle.<br><br>As a subset kit, I'm also going to give some though to what I should have that's more portable. It's quite conceivable that I may be in a meeting on a different floor than my kit and may have to evacuate in an emergency, such as a fire. I am not going to make my way back to my office in such a circumstance, I am going to exit the building. So I have my pockets to consider and my little leather case I carry my Palm in, that's usually with me at every meeting. Maybe it's time to start a new fashion trend, a smart looking leather fanny pack for business dress!<br><br>Anyway, sorry for the long message. I'll stop now and go fill up my water bottle.<br><br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 04:56 PM

I've been thinking about the same thing today. I came up with a very similar list of items to keep handy at work. I fleshed out my list with a couple of your suggestions and I also had a small am/fm radio on my list. Could be helpful to receive news and to be aware of the overall situation so you are making the right decisions. They make some really tiny ones now that you just wouldn't believe, so not much weight penalty for that item.<br><br>The cell phone is always a good idea. It's use in wilderness situations has also been touted. You said that you were considering getting another phone for the purpose, and if you are like me, the cost of the additional monthly service contract is always a consideration. We don't wan't to waste any money that we could be spending hoarding MREs and Rambo knives ;-) Just to remind everybody about the little-known fact about cell phones: they can be used for emergency purposes even after the service contract has been cancelled. You do not need to have an "activated" cell phone to give you the extra margin of safety you may be looking for. Many people may even have an old cell phone laying around the house that can be used in this way and not know it. Any "deactivated" cell phone can be used to dial 911 for free and in most, if not all areas, it can also be used to place a call to any other number if the call is billed collect or to a calling card number or credit card number (at a pretty high rate, like maybe $1/minute plus something like a $1-$2 connection charge). <br><br>
Posted by: ToddG

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 06:33 PM

You may want to add a small pry bar. I lived in San Francisco for a few years and was convinced of the usefulness of that item for convincing quake bent doors and gates to open. I immagine explosion bent doors could also be a problem. I found a lightweight titanium pry bar (15in) a few years ago that now lives in the day pack I carry to work. If anyone is interested I am sure I can find a source for the Pry Bar that I have.<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 06:48 PM

>>>...I found a lightweight titanium pry bar (15in) ...<<<<br><br>Interesting. Was it expensive? <br><br>It would also be useful for tapping on steel beams or pipe should one become trapped in a building. BTW, An urban survivial situation is where one may really need morse code, more so than a wilderness survival situation. <br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 06:53 PM

>>>Many people may even have an old cell phone laying around the house that can be used in this way and not know it. <<<<br><br>I didn't know that! And I have an old one at home, although it's about the size of a brick. Should it have a dial tone when turned on? How could I test to see if it works (withought actually calling 911 and getting in troulble)?<br><br>BTW, I just heard a loud noise outside my office window. It's a helocopter flying by, and it's not military. It's the first aircraft I've seen in the sky since Tuesday, and it sticks out like a sore thumb because of the absence these past two days.<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 07:02 PM

Not at all, $24.95 plus S&H<br>I got mine here:<br>http://www.materials.com/Titanium_tools.HTML<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 07:13 PM

I visit family in a suburb of your city occasionally and I am always struck by the sheer number of planes that can be seen in the sky there at any one time. It must really be strange to be used to that and have the skies empty.<br><br>You can't test the cell phone's 911 capability without actually calling 911, which, of course, should be minimized. It is considered ok to test dial 911 if you do this responsibly. You should state the purpose of your call (testing) and keep the call very short. Do not just hang up when they answer.<br><br>Better yet, just dial any other number, such as your home phone number, and press "send". You will hear a recorded message asking how you would like to pay for the call. Hang up if you do not want to complete the call. This should satisfy you that you actually can make a call with the phone. BTW, no, you should not expect to hear a dial tone when using a cell phone.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 07:33 PM

>>>BTW, no, you should not expect to hear a dial tone when using a cell phone.<<<<br><br>Dough!!! Makes sense once you stop and think about it. ;-)<br><br>>>>Better yet, just dial any other number, such as your home phone number, and press "send". <<<<br><br>Thanks for the tip.<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 07:45 PM

You might think about including a map of the area around the building and several routes leading away from your building to safer areas and/or home. If there is anywhere near the debris or confusion of the WTC attack, you might become confused about how to get home. Maybe a button compass to use with the map. Clearly mark on the map major compass headings.<br><br>- Leather gloves to help protect your hands from debris.<br>- Small prybar to force open doors that may be jammed<br>- Bandana (dust mask, makeshift glove, bandage, signal flag, etc)<br>- Safety glasses/goggles for eye protection from debris/dust<br>- granola bars/trail mix<br>- whistle<br>- Leatherman <br>- Space blanket<br>- Trash bag<br>- Cash for hotel, travel, food, whatever<br>- Larger Marker/Grease Pencil to mark your route as you move about. Allows you to know if you are moving in circles or retracing your steps. Mark arrows or other indicators towards injured/trapped so rescue personal can follow your trail to assist others.<br><br>I saw a commerical site offering 72 hour kits several years ago that sold the kit packaged in a cardboard box about the size of standard file folders but about 2.5" inches tall. They claimed it would fit in the bottom of a standard file cabinet BELOW the bottom drawer. Slide out the bottom file drawer and there is the kit, hidden from most people in the office but known to you. Really basic supplies included were USCG water rations, Mainstay food bar, space blanket.<br><br>Depending on your work environment, maybe you could leave a standard day pack in your drawers. Include the items above along with a pair of sturdy shoes/boots and socks. I would add an unlined nylon windbreaker jacket with hood and more water rations. A portable radio with extra batteries might be a good choice. LED flashlights offer extremely long battery usage life with basically unbreakable bulbs. Maybe a Petzl Tika headlamp. That way your hands are free and you have light showing where ever you turn you head to see.<br><br>I have been making suggestions based on the idea you are able to leave the building. If you are trapped in the building for an extended period but are relatively safe, then you might think about adding a roll of quarters for the vending machines, candles to generate light and heat, matches or lighter for candle. Chemical light sticks work well in explosive environments where flashlights can cause explosions. You might include a chemical light stick as an alternate light source for hazardous atmospheres.<br><br>How about a map of the interior of your building with the exits, fire extingishers, bathrooms, water supplies, vending machines, stairs, fire hoses, first aid kits. <br><br>If your office space were to fill with smoke, would you know how to get to the nearest stairwell? Do you know to check doors with the back of your hand before you grab the doorknob to check to see if the door is hot? If the door is hot, that means there is fire on the other side and you DO NOT want to open the door. The reason you use the back of your hand is so that you do not burn your palm and can still use your hand. <br><br>Ladder trucks are typically 85 to 110 feet. That means the highest floor a ladder truck can reach is about 7 or 8 stories assuming it can get close enough to the building. Above that level you are on your own. There was some discussion earlier about having a small escape kit of rappeling line for such instances. Rappelling from 200 ft is no different than rappelling from 20 except in your mind. 200 ft of rappeling line, even extra small one time emergency use rope would take up considerable space. Rappelling is also a skill you would want to practice before you jump out of a 20 story building.<br><br>There are hoods available for escape from smoke filled buildings. Basically nothing more than a plastic bag with a drawstring you put over your head and cinch around your neck. Attached is a small pressurized air bottle that flows air into the plastic bag. One time use product. The most common injury of fires is smoke inhalation. That means all the stuff in the building is burning and giving off toxic fumes. By keeping the fumes outside your body, you increase your chance of survival. Cost is about $70-$80 per hood.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 08:15 PM

If you're interested, you might want to take a look at my first tentative list for just this sort of kit. I posted it on 07/16/01 04:40 PM, with the subject "Escape From (your city name here)". I've added a few items since.<br><br>CastAway- I did mention the tiny radios, and have since procured two. They work surprisingly well, weigh less than an ounce, and cost under $10. I consider a radio absolutely essential for an urban kit- you may have a compass and a map, but how are you going to know where the riots/fires/floods/whatever are, and where NOT to go? There are guys in helicopters anxious to tell you, if you'll just listen.<br><br>William- your concern about being away from your pouch is well founded. I once came walking back from lunch to the office building only to find that the entire building had been evacuated for a fire alarm, and EVERYTHING I had was still inside, even my car keys. I was out on the sidewalk for hours, wondering if I'd get back in before nightfall. I don't need to be that stupid twice.<br><br>You mentioned your Palm in a leather pouch on your belt. I carry mine there too, in a horizontal pouch made by Devian. Since the belt loop is as wide as the pouch, it's more than twice as wide as my belt- and the backside makes for a quickly accessible, nearly invisible carry for a folder having a belt clip, up to 4 inches or so closed, maybe a bit more. Just a thought. For entertainment purposes only, as they say.<br><br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 08:36 PM

>>> ... and EVERYTHING I had was still inside, even my car keys. <<<<br><br>Ditto. And my train ticket (monthly pass). I keep it in there so I don't lose it!<br><br>But it would not have been tragic if I didn't have either. A one-way train ticket would have set me back $6 and I can walk the one mile from my hometown train station to my house.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 08:39 PM

>>>...Larger Marker/Grease Pencil <br><br>FWIW, A grease pencil won't dry out like a marker.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

What's the next level? - 09/13/01 08:43 PM

We can all be reasonably prepared to deal with the kind of scenarios that we have witnessed on TV, but my question is what will future terrorist attacks look like? Will they try to outdo themselves again by raising the stakes to an even higher level? Will the next big attack involve biological or chemical agents? We should plan to be prepared for the next event, not just the last one.<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/13/01 09:08 PM

The titanium bars are available from Brigade Quartermasters and Sovietski.com Prices of course vary widely as does shipping. From personal experience I endorse them over a common steel unit. Most of the pry bars are coming in from China. I personally witnessed one shatter under great strain causing injury. Examination found a major flaw in the grain .<br><br>

Re: What's the next level? - 09/13/01 09:41 PM

The lady of my life and I have been talking about just this sort of thing these past couple of days. <br><br>For the two years I worked downtown, my nightmare scenario was the lone fanatic with a paper bag of anthrax-laden powder on some roof…<br><br>There’s nothing I personally can do to prevent this, and not much I can do to survive it. Like someone hearing rumors of the black plague in the 14th century, the best I can do is not be there when it happens. I think sometime in the next five years or so, we’ll be pulling out of the DC area. It’s a great market for my skills, but I don’t want to die here.<br><br>What do you do when you unexpectedly receive fire, and there’s no cover? You spread out. <br><br>It’s time to decentralize this society for a number of reasons. Decentralization is why the net and web work. Decentralization is why there will still be a stock market next week. Decentralization is why the Prez didn't come running right back. Our huge, centralized cities, and the impossible hundreds of millions all commuting in lockstep are legacies from the industrial age that we’ve otherwise mostly left behind. Other than stupid 19th century management practices that won’t die, there’s no reason that the large percentage that are “information workers” (estimated at 80 percent in this area) have to be physically present in the same buildings every day, and as a society we can no longer afford the insane costs, even without incidents like this. <br><br>Demand that they lay fiber and build microwave towers, instead of ever-more perpetually inadequate highways. Learn to do what you need to do over the web. If it has web access and UPS can find it, no place is isolated any more. Spread out.<br><br><br>

Re: What's the next level? - 09/14/01 12:05 AM

"It’s time to decentralize this society for a number of reasons."<br>I'll second that. We've created alot of problems besides safety in the way we've allowed urban areas to bloat.<br>JB<br><br>Expect poison with the standing water.<br> -William Blake
Posted by: ratstr

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 07:35 AM

Few tips,<br><br>If you can, never leave the building directly from the ground level. Use subway connections, even drenaige canals. This way you can protect yourself from the collapse after you leave. <br><br>If not vital never force open jammed doors without checking. Check the door to see if it supports anything. Also check for heat, be careful about backdraft. Always open the door holding the handle, just in case you may need to close it to run away from flash over or flame over. If you have synthetic clothes on get rid of them in case of fire. Cover your mouth with a wet cloth. Cross corridors and stair-wells carefully, be aware of flame-shaft risk.<br><br>For further info you may read http://www.ratstr.org/faidarticles/fire.htm<br><br><br><br>Survive and Protect

Re: What's the next level? - 09/14/01 01:05 PM

>It’s time to decentralize this society for a number of reasons<<br><br>Where has this been more obvious over the past 5 decades than at the Pentagon? You put 25,000 of the nations highest-ranking leaders from all branches of the military in one single building, easily identified from the ground and air and accessible from ocean waters and this is not an attractive target????? We need to wake up and smell the coffee.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 01:23 PM

Here are couple of moderately useful links. Two are FAQs related to exposure to dust and the third has tips on how to discuss this week's tragidy with children.<br><br>The AMA Web site now contains information for physicians and patients on the hazards of inhaling dust and smoke. The information was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and can be viewed at:<br><br>Fact Sheet for the General Public: <br>http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6113.html <br><br>Fact Sheet for Medical Personnel: <br>http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6114.html<br><br>In response to the tragic events unfolding in New York and Washington, D.C., the American Academy of Pediatrics has posted advice on how to communicate with children and adolescents during times of crisis on its Web site.<br><br>Read more: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/disastercomm.htm<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 02:03 PM

Where did you get you radios and what brand were they?<br>Thanks, <br>Todd<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 04:27 PM

Todd,<br><br>If you don't mind, I'll just cut-and-paste an extract from an e-mail I sent to a friend some time ago. It's a little long (gee, that's gonna shock everybody..) but it contains just about everything I know about them..<br><br>______________<br><br>There are lots of tiny portable FM radios going for less than $10<br>apiece on eBay, but I've noticed that most of them seem to have the<br>headphones (uh.. earbuds) permanently attached. I can see why, it<br>probably saves a few cents on an item where that might be a<br>significant part of the profit margin, but these things also use the<br>headphone cord as an antenna, which might be easier if you know what<br>the headphone cord is for sure. They all seem to be made in China.<br><br>Ok, so I bought one of these at the mall, made by "FM Sounds"<br>(no-name), and here's my initial impressions. The thing is the size<br>and weight of a filled matchbox- really light. In fact, there's this<br>little chrome chain on one corner with a chrome clip on it, and<br>together I think the chain and clip account for about a third the<br>weight- I may remove them. Controls are very basic, but adequate-<br>there's a switch for "off", "low" and "high", meaning volume.<br>There's [censored] little difference between "low" and "high", but "low"<br>seems adequate. There's a button to scan up the channels, and one to<br>reset to the bottom of the band. Sound and tuning are amazingly,<br>surprisingly, good. The case feels pretty surprisingly robust, like a<br>pager, but doesn't give the impression of being water resistant at<br>all. It's so light it's hard to imagine it being damaged by dropping<br>it, even on concrete. I have no idea yet how long the little button<br>cell batteries will last, but hopefully driving the tiny earbuds<br>doesn't take much. This looks like it would do just fine for an<br>ultralight urban bugout kit. Cost $7.95<br><br>There's a website on the package, and that gets me to a product page.<br>Amazing that such El Cheapo stuff has it's own web pages, but that's<br>the times.. :<br><br>http://www.atcsd.com/rc_pager_radio.html<br><br>Too bad there's nothing to give scale. Stare, really look, at the<br>headphone connector. It looks outsized. It isn't.<br><br>Looking back at the index page,<br><br>http://www.atcsd.com/retail_consumer.html<br><br>there are some others that are interesting, but the objection about<br>permanently attached earbuds remains. Maybe I'm being silly about<br>that. This one:<br><br>http://www.atcsd.com/rc_worlds_smallest.html<br><br>shows up on eBay a lot.<br><br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 04:35 PM

Thanks!, <br>What about AM or Shortwave? Does the group here think the extra money and size would be worth it in an urban survival situation?<br><br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 05:04 PM

Shortwave transmission has the potential for extremely long carry, like intercontinental under the right circumstances, so it has traditionally been thought of as a good possible method of emergency communication. However, unless you are talking about an armageddon scenario, FM reception is all you are going to need or want to keep informed of local conditions and in touch with national and global developments through local news programming.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 05:21 PM

Personally, I keep a couple of older-model FreePlay (formerly BayGen) hand-crank radios around, one AM/FM with a photocell array, and another AM/FM/SW without. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to worry about batteries dying in storage, dying in use, or leaking. However, while great for home, they're WAY too big and bulky for any sort of carrying kit.<br><br>The smallest portable SW I've seen is probably 6-8 oz. For 6-8 times the weight penalty of FM alone, I'll pass. The object of the "urban bugout" kit is to get me out of a city- I don't need the longer range of AM, and if the only news being broadcast is on SW... well, that's probably really, really bad news. Getting out of the city might not help at that point.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/14/01 11:07 PM

You guys might be interested in this:<br><br>http://itscool.com/roguewarrior/terrorism.htm<br><br>I read Marcinko's original book 15 years ago and enjoyed it, have not read his fiction.<br><br>Prophetic words!<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/15/01 09:53 PM

I keep a Swiss Card, a number of butterfly plasters and a spare credit card in my Palm computer wallet, just in case. <br><br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/15/01 10:34 PM

I carry one of these http://www.atcsd.com/rc_worlds_smallest.html<br>small radios in my work bag. Slips easily into one of the pockets in the bag and lets me keep in contact with the local news and travel when I am at various clients. I used it last year when, locally, we were suffering floods and the local radio station ran regular news bulletins.<br><br>I'd recommend it for an emergency carry.<br><br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/16/01 02:09 PM

>>Any "deactivated" cell phone can be used to dial 911 for free and in most, if not all areas, it can also be used to place a call to any other number if the call is billed collect or to a calling card number or credit card number (at a pretty high rate, like maybe $1/minute plus something like a $1-$2 connection charge). <<<br><br>I'm reluctant to test the 911 feature. I did try calling my own number from my deactivated StarTac (Verizon), and got a recorded error message, no opportunity to do anything. The fact that it works at all leads me to suspect that 911 might work...Maryland suburbs of DC.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/17/01 01:49 PM

I am reluctant to try 911 as well, especially this week. But I did call my office number from home. I got a recorded message that they did not recognize my phone and to call a number if I felt that was in error. And to stay on the line to place a credit card call. So it does work and now I feel like I got an early X-mass present. Thanks, Chris.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/18/01 02:30 PM

The call-any-number-with-deactivated-phone deal may not be available in your area. There is one other thing you can try, though. Your phone has a setting that forces it to communicate with one particular cellular company in your area (Verizon?). The company your phone is contacting may not be interested in providing this service, but maybe their competition does. If you change the setting, maybe you will connect to the other company and be offered the service.<br><br>I don't know how to program your phone, but generally you would access the programming menu and there will be a setting for "A" or "B" designating the A system or the B system (the 2 primary carriers in any market area). Check your manual for better information on the details of this (don't you wish you saved that manual?). It may be worth a try. Good luck.<br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/18/01 03:01 PM

I read most of the article and found it somewhat interesting. Readers should note that it is not current and when he refers the the World Trade Center Bombing, he is talking about the 1993 event. It is somewhat confusing without that fact. <br><br>

Re: Lessons Learned - 09/20/01 03:05 PM

What does the group think of this Escape Mask to put in a workplace ditch kit?<br>http://www.uscav.com/Shop/uscitemdetail.asp?stk_code=WA14631<br><br>Thanks all<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost

GP escape mask - 09/20/01 03:55 PM

That product looks a bit scary to me. The hood is rubber, how fire resistant could that be and what happens to your head if it lights off? Ever seen rubber burn? Also, the filter portion is not isolated to the nose and mouth, so you could essentailly be rebreathing the air from inside the entire hood instead of exchanging air through the filter. I would stay away from that product. <br><br>Consider a product called Evac-U-8 mentioned elsewhere in this forum or search on the web.<br><br>

Re: GP escape mask - 09/20/01 04:07 PM

Sounds like we've uncovered another hands on testing project for ETS!<br><br>BTW, www.sportsmansguide.com has used gas masks for $13.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Re: GP escape mask - 09/20/01 05:36 PM

thanks, This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for....Of course the Evac-U8 is out of stock at BQM and US Cav dosent have them....big surprise huh? <br><br>Thanks again<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost