clothing material question

Posted by: Tjin

clothing material question - 11/19/03 09:17 PM

gore-tex jackets are primairy used to stop wind a rain and still breath, right ?but so is a pertex windshirt. gore-tex jackets go from € 200 to 600, a pertex windshirt goes for € 20. can anyone explain what makes people buy gore-tex ? what are the advantages of heaving a gore-tex jack over a pertex shirt ? exsept for the pockets, features and the fact that gore-tex jackets are stronger.

secons question: the sell buffalo shirts for almost € 200 here, they are made of a kind of very rough fleece with a pertex outside. Again why do people pay that much, if you can get fleece for € 5.99 and a pertex shirt for € 20 ?

i have no experians with these materials, that why i'm asking. Nice to know before i get those things, i don't want to end being a exsample how not to do things. theorie can be very diffrent from the actually world.
Posted by: gear_freak

Re: clothing material question - 11/20/03 03:01 PM

You may enjoy reading a discussion on this very subject here by ultralight backpacking enthisiast Michael Connick: http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/clothes.htm

For myself, I choose less-expensive but still completely effective versions of waterproof/breathable shells, such as the Red Ledge Thunderlight series. The jacket can be had for $49 US and the pants for $39 US. I've braved many an onslaught with these.