Do you carry a kit daily?

Posted by: Anonymous

Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/14/01 01:08 AM

I do! So I thought I'd share what I've come up with. I call it my DCPK, Daily Carry Pocket Kit. It has basics, but seems to get used for mundane tasks as well as survival needs. The safety pins seem to get the most use.<br><br>I have made some alterations since I made the page, but this will give you the idea. Have fun!<br><br>DCPK<br><br>Plainsman <br>Plainsman's Cabin Homepage<br>Plainsman's Cabin Forums
Posted by: Craig

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/14/01 02:24 PM

I do. I carry it to work with me in my nylon briefcase. My problem is finding something else in which to carry it on weekends so I don't look like supergeek. I'm on a quest for the "ultimate" gear bag. Big enough to carry gear comfortably, small enough to be inobtrusive.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/14/01 03:25 PM

I found that a fanny pack is large enough to carry the essentials but small enough that I will wear it. Mine is 4" x 6" x 9" and is black. Simple thing I picked up a Target for about $12. I keep it in the glove box of my vehicle. Easy to wear during family outings to the park, festivals, hikes. <br><br>I would say the duct tape, band-aids, and knife are the mostly frequently used items.<br><br>

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/14/01 06:55 PM

I may have to try that. Maybe it won't make me look too geeky.<br><br>Craig<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/14/01 07:24 PM

Consider a shoulder holster rig sans holster.Usually a magazine pouch is on opposite side. Just specify mag pouch on both sides and your purpose. There are many Available in leather and man made materials.<br><br>

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/15/01 02:07 PM

Sounds like a cool rig. This is probably an urban legend, but I heard that a guy got shot by a police officer because the officer thought the guy was going for a gun, but it was actually a liquor bottle in a shoulder holster.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/21/01 03:22 PM

I do. I carry a combat survival kit from BCB on my gunbelt. I added a small pocket knife inside as I didn't like the cheapo one included in the kit. I already carry a S&W S.W.A.T. folder which I am highly impressed with.<br><br>

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 02/21/01 05:03 PM

I took a long weekend vacation out of town this past weekend. Wore my fanny pack with me everywhere. The only problem was I have three things dangleing from the zippers that jingle jangle. That and one of them, the whistle, is bright yellow. People tended to look at the fanny pack because it make noise and the yellow whistle against the black pack caught their eye. <br><br>Well, during our strolling around town, I found a pack outlet place that offered a fanny pack that 1) has a wider belt 2) longer but less tall 3)more pockets for only $10. I bought it and transferred the contents to the new pack. I like it better already. It has a very thin pocket at the back which is perfect for storing money. I am able to separate the supplies into multiple pockets so less rummaging around for stuff. <br><br>In four days of travel, I only had to use the notepad and pencil. I found that to be unusal. I usually pull out the SAK, duct tape, and bandaid on a trip of this duration. Oh, I did use the SAK in my other pack when my wife wanted a toothpick.<br><br>Now I just need to get a black whistle so it is not so eye catching. I think I will move the AAA flashlight and zipper compass inside so they do not make so much noise and movement attracting attention.<br><br>
Posted by: jet

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 10/24/01 08:38 AM

In addition to the other junk I carry, I've recently finished assembling a micro kit in an approx. 2 3/8" x 1 5/8" x 5/8" Altoids "Tiny Tin". It is extremely small, and though I'll likely never need it, it feels good to have it just sort of for the principle of the matter. ;-)<br><br>It contains:<br><br>EMERGENCY DEVICES GROUP<br>-----------------------<br>1 button compass<br>1 single-edged razor blade<br>1 "Exacto" type razorknife blade<br>1 short (2") length of hacksaw blade<br>1 trick self-relighting birthday candle<br>1 B.C.B. wire saw w/ 2 split rings f/ handles<br>1 Done Right Mfg. "Sparky" magnesium/flint firestarter<br>4 B.C.B. "NATO Lifeboat Matches" w/ 2 cardboard (Coughlan's) strikers<br>1 Four Seasons Survival "Spark Lite" & 7 "Tinder Quik" waterproof tinders<br><br>WATER & FOOD GROUP<br>------------------<br>8 Schering-Plough "Puritabs" water disinfectant chlorine tablets (exp 3/05)<br><br>MISCELLANEOUS/MULTI-PURPOSE GROUP<br>---------------------------------<br>1 large safety pin<br>1 small safety pin<br>1 large paper clip<br>1 small paper clip<br>1 large sewing needle<br>1 small sewing needle<br>1 plastic covered wire "Twist Tie"<br>4 small pieces of "100MPH" tape (stuck to bottom of tin)<br>3' 3M "Scotch 35" orange vinyl electrical tape (sealing the lid of the tin)<br>5' Kelty "Triptease LightLine" 2mm spectra/nylon tent guyline (wrapped around tin)<br>4' 550# test 7-strand mil-spec paracord (wrapped around tin, over the guyline)<br><br>What I now realize is missing is thread! D'oh! And, maybe, a great big rubber band cut from a bicycle inner tube. Since that'll be wrapped around the outside, it'll add bulk. I'll have to see if it's worth it.

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 10/24/01 12:27 PM

The image at the top of the DCPK page is broken.

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 10/24/01 03:29 PM

Looks good. I think I would swap a few of those paper clips for a few fishhooks. I think fishing line/spectra line would be a more vestile choice than thread.<br><br>Maybe instead of the wire saw you might think about snare wire or a premade wire snare.<br><br>Looks like you have fire making under control.
Posted by: jet

Re: Do you carry a kit daily? - 10/24/01 05:50 PM

Thanks.<br><br>Yeah, the micro-kit definitely does focus on fire. The wire saw is for that. As for the paper clips, for most of my life, I have considered paper clips to be on a par with duct tape and safety pins as the R2-D2's of the real world. They do everything.<br><br>Somewhere, perhaps on this forum, perhaps elsewhere, I once read the following:<br><br>The Priorities:<br>3 weeks without food,<br>3 days without water,<br>3 hours without shelter (in bad weather),<br>3 minutes without air.<br><br>With that in mind, I try to work in "priority order", if you will:<br>Smoke hoods, respirators, gas masks, Spare Airs & HEEDS, and life jackets are for three minute emergencies. Their bulk tends to make them stand alone items that I carry when needed (airplanes, hotels, boats, etc.) for possible air emergencies (drowning, smoke inhalation, etc.), and not part of my small tins.<br>Fire and shelter building materials are for three hour emergencies. That's what I focus on first. The "Tiny Tin" plus whatever weather appropriate clothing I have on or with me may hopefully be suficient for most weather emergencies, since I also always carry a plastic disposable poncho and modified space blanket in the pockets of my coats, jackets and windbreakers.<br>After that, I prepare for water emergencies. Given the size limitations of this tin, I decided to carry only water purification tabs and depend on myself to have, find or make a water container of some sort. Since my recent breakthrough in understanding how to get a useful amount of water into a condom, I may need to look at squeezing one of them into this tin. It's pretty packed already, though... something may have to go. I may not do it. I really want to focus on three hour emergencies with this tin, not three day ones.<br>As for food, I figure if I'm going anywhere far enough from home that I could have a three week emergency, I'll have enough advance preparation to grab my regular Altoids-sized Windmill Lighter tin if nothing else, or else I'll be in my Jeep, so I'll have even more supplies than that. It's difficult to have a genuine food emergency during my daily grind, and the other items would likely be of more vital importance, and sooner.<br><br>My larger kits are more well rounded; the more so the larger they get. With this smallest sized one, well, I mainly just don't want to die of hypothermia before I have time to die of dehydration. ;-)