Survival Presentation

Posted by: Anonymous

Survival Presentation - 09/09/03 09:03 PM

I've got to give a presentation on basic survival equipment to and RAF officer and possibly a group of Air Cadets. What sort of things do you think I should include? So far i'm planning on doing the (not) ten essential. So just running through the sort of things you should try to carry at all times. Then i'm planning on going through a PSK and showing the contents of mine. I'll probably try mounting them on a board so that its quick as I only have 5 mins to do the whole presentation. What else do you think I should include?

thanks in advance
Posted by: WOFT

Re: Survival Presentation - 09/09/03 09:36 PM

Perhaps also talk about how to handle and think through an emergency situation, and what your survival priorities are. ie (IMHO)

1 medical care
2 shelter and fire
3 signalling and communication
4 sustanance

Also, remember to S.T.O.P. in an emergancy:
Stop-think-observe-plan.

and above all, DO NOT PANIC!

Just my 2c
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Survival Presentation - 09/09/03 10:15 PM

Arrange for someone to turn off the lights. Switch your torch on or light a match and give your presentation.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Survival Presentation - 09/10/03 04:07 PM

Quote:
What else do you think I should include?

Think about ommiting something. Otherwise you might have to hurry and leave the impression that youŽre not comfy with the subject of your presentation.
If you have 5 minutes for the whole presentation the ten essentials OR the PSK will be plenty. If you do the PSK , IŽd suggest that you unpack it during the presentation. This draws attention to the item youŽre going to talk about and increases the suspense. If you misjudged the required time, you can also leave some items in the box.
With ten items youŽll have 30 seconds (3 or 4 sentences?) - even less if you like have introduction and conclusion - for showing an item and telling about the use and the reasons why you carry it. 30 seconds is not exactly an ample timespan.
Presentations tend to go bad if you pack too much into them. If youŽre inexpierenced, you should have a timed test run without audience.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Survival Presentation - 09/10/03 05:29 PM

I agree. 5 minutes is a short time for an in-depth presentation.

I like Chris K's suggestion about turning out the lights. And then drawing attention to the fact that people should carry sinple tools at all times (light, whistle, knife, etc)

Chris