outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck

Posted by: Anonymous

outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 02:04 PM

Does anyone have a procedure for not getting stuck or getting unstuck in mud? That could quickly lead to a survival situation.

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 02:10 PM

All of my vehicles have decent tires and a hand powered cable winch in the trunk. Beyond that - don't drive into the mud. I take my off road vehicle into situations I wouldn't take my sedan or minivan but still I am careful not to take unnecessary risks. If I'm off-roading with friends for the fun of it I might challenge new terrain but if I am in a Bug-out situation or driving alone I am fairly conservative about the terrain I will attempt. If it looks suspect and I can drive around well why take the chance. If you need to ford a swamp or something similar where you know you will be encountering deep muck and it is unavoidable then hit it with a lot of momentum and hopefully you can get accross the top without getting mired. The wider the tire and the deeper the tread the better. Hit it fast, keep them spinnin and pray.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 02:27 PM

Well don't slow down when crossing mud holes. People trying to be extra careful and slow down in the middle of the pond and get stuck. Pick up speed so even if your tires start slipping momentum carries you. When coming out of the hole even if you have to floor it do it. Carry a shovel in your trunk. I also throw in a bag of sand/grovel mix (dual purpose item I use it on the shooting range as gun rest). There is this nifty tool I picked up from a catalog: foldable mini ramp about 8 inches wide, 2.5 feet long. . It is used for getting out of the snow. I will place them under my wheels to get a better grip and it works. I also carry rubber boots when off roading so I can put them on just in case I need to get out. I also carry towing rope and a hand winch. I wanted to get electric one mounted but it would be stolen in NYC. In Africa to get out of the mud we used to cut bushes and branches to place them under the car wheels all of that done doging elephant who got angry that we came into his territory.

Matt
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 02:36 PM

There is a service manual on vehicle recovery methods. It is well worth the read with several innovative tricks.

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 02:46 PM

link, title, author, isbn?
Posted by: Eugene

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 04:13 PM

What does your hand winch look like. Is it the thing we commonlt call a come-along? My truck is currently a 2wd untill its paid off then either throw a front axel under or trade it, but I need some recovery gear either way.

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 04:18 PM

Same thing different name. Steel cable with hook, ratchet winder, large lever handle.
Posted by: Hutch66

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 04:19 PM

"There are three catagories of off-road drivers
Those who have been stuck before,
Those who will be stuck in the future and
Those who are stuck right now"

This is about the truest piece of wisdom that has been given to me by more experienced drivers. The best way to find out what your vehicle can and can't do is to get it stuck a few times. Find a local off road club and tag along on a few trail rides. Almost all experienced drivers are eager to help out new guys like you and me.

As far as gear goes, a 20,000 lb recovery strap, the kind with a loop on each end, NOT the 15000 lb variety with hooks on the ends, and front and rear tow hooks are all you need to get started, assuming that you are going to be with other vehicles that will be capable of pulling you out.

www.off-road.com has sections and forums for particular vehicles that are probably worth a read, too.

Hope this helps,

Chris.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 04:27 PM

That was my previous truck when I screwed up my conversion box in the Rockies... You become master in getting out off places or riding on slippery roads when you only have rear wheel drive available... Than when you fix it and get your 4x4 back everything is a piece of cake...

Matt

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/23/03 09:20 PM

I think he means FM 20-22, Vehicle Recovery Operations. Look here http://www.military-info.com/MPHOTO/Manuallist/Fmarmy.htm to order a photocopy for $10. Here's the Reader's Digest version http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/21-305/Ch22.htm. FM 5-35, Engineers Field Data also has a useful chapter on vehicle recovery.

Ed
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/24/03 06:54 AM

1. Look for an alternate route.

2. Decide whether you really need/want to cross the mud. If so, determine what to do if you start to become stuck. Plan how you can recover a stuck vehicle.

3. Carefully survey/reconnoiter the mud. It does not hurt to stop your vehicle to study conditions and plan your attack. If necessary, do so on foot. You do not need to wade through it to evaluate the conditions.

4. If you are planning to cross the mud, accelerate to a moderate speed before entering the mud such that your momentum will help carry you through it without becoming stuck. Be sure that you can control the vehicle at that speed under such conditions. As long as it is safe, be sure to maintain your speed as you cross the mud.

5. After crossing significant mud, be sure to wash the mud from the underside of your vehicle at your earliest opportunity.

Good luck,

John

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/24/03 10:22 AM

I've heard to always go into the bush in 2WD, so that you can use 4X4 drive to get back out.

I also like those bubble-level tilt indicators you stick on the dashboard, because if you roll over the vehicle you can also be "stuck" (and [email]Fv@$-d[/email] too if you are hurt).

Something to consider: my service manual prescribes quite a bit of extra maintenance any time the truck is submerged over axle level.

run
:-)

Re: outta luck and yo truck is stuck in the muck - 07/24/03 11:33 AM

That's kinda oppisite of what I heard, and I can sorta prove it. Though, I do remember doing that a few times(with my rig, a tractor) and getting out to brag about it, I did manage to burry a 4 wheel drive John Deer 7810. I speeded up fairly good, but bogged down. I learned 2 things, avoid standing water in a field, and don't keep spinning the wheels if you do bog down, that only makes it worse, plus you really get a sickening feeling, and your leg starts twitching uncontrolably. It probly didn't help that I was carrying a fully loaded manure spreader. In retrospect, I could have probably gotten out if I unhooked, but that would have been tricky too. Anyway, it took another 4 wheel drive tractor and a smaller 2 wheel drive to finnally get it out. Fame is mine! I hope to avoid that with any truck I get.

Anyway, I heard that the deeper the mud, the lower the gear. Thats from the June '03 issue of Field and Stream. He also says not to floor it. But, I think I'll listen to youre Idea, it helped me more often than not.