Cold Steel Outdoorsman

Posted by: ToddG

Cold Steel Outdoorsman - 08/23/01 04:36 PM

Does anyone have any experiance or thought on this knife? I like the size and own several other cold steel knives, but the chopper on the back of the blade has me curious....Thoughts?<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Cold Steel Outdoorsman - 08/23/01 05:06 PM

I just messed with one yesterday ( I have a friend that works at Cold Steel ). The jigging is a nice new touch, but @ 6" I couldn't perform precise cutting anyway. The chopper on the spine works very well, but when I used the knife to split wood managed to put a ding in it. I wouldn't try hammering much. The Tanto type handle doesn't appeal to me personally. the buttcap could have been a usefull hammer in it's own, but is to small and tapered. I carry a SRK as my primary knife. For the price I accept a few shortcomings. For the retail price of a outdoorsman ( unless you can find a substantial dealer discount) Id look at the premium knives such as Busse.<br><br>
Posted by: ToddG

Re: Cold Steel Outdoorsman - 08/23/01 05:26 PM

Thanks Chris, I actually picked one up on ebay for a decent price, I just was not sure about the chopper. The one on the knife I got was very sharp and almost, in my mind at least, turned the knife into a double edge and I was not sure if I liked that. (Visions of nasty cuts dancing in my mind)<br>I actually use the SRK in my two current kits but was looking at other options. I have been a Cold Steel fan since I bought my one back in the mid 80`s<br><br>The best way out is always through.<br>-Robert Frost