Neck lanyards

Posted by: Craig

Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 12:15 PM

For those of you who wear neck lanyards to carry a few choice pieces of gear at all times, what brand of lanyard do you prefer, and what do you carry on it?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 01:32 PM

The one offered by LRI as an accessory to the Photon Micro Light flashlights is very nice. It has a good plastic snap-together break-away coupling to keep you from strangling and a very nice metal snap-hook for quickly attaching and detaching gear. They can be ordered individually at the LRI site and are affordable. I forget the exact price but about $4 with another $2 for shipping would probably cover it.<br><br>Otherwise you could just make one, maybe from some para cord or para cord sheath. Be sure to allow for break-away.<br><br>What you put on it is up to you. A whistle is common. A Photon, button compass, tiny knife would be good choices. A small vial if you need any critical medications. Maybe a big gold medalliion like Mr. T.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 02:26 PM

Thanks, CastAway. <br><br>I do have my eye on that lanyard. Wanted to see what the experts here thought.<br><br>I'm currently using an old ID lanyard. I attached a Photon II, a thermometer/compass, and a British Metropolitan Bobbies' whistle. I gave my Mini Fox 40 to my wife and haven't found another one to buy yet. If I can't find one, maybe I'll get one of the flat USCG whistles. A button compass is a good idea and would save some weight. <br><br>What's your idea of a "tiny" knife? A Vic Classic, perhaps?<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 04:47 PM

My neck lanyard is a quality strip of leather weakly stitched into a loop with waxed thread. If I get hung up, the thread will tear through or snap. I don't want melting paracord on my neck. the strap makes an expediant knife strop.On the water my neck knife is a Myerchin. On horseback a small Puukoo.Guardless knives, while inherently more prone to accidental cutting, have an advantage. When your hurt, cold or working in small spaces it is EASIER to pull the knife towards you. that is why they actually taper toward the blade.The handle is for a pulling grip, and the enlarged butt makes for easier hammering or pushing . My mirror and whistle complete the assembly. These are the items I want immediate access to. Everything else goes into the pocket tins.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 06:15 PM

I wouldn't want melting paracord on my neck, either. Ouch! I like your mirror idea. I have a small 2x3-inch StarFlash signal mirror in my kit. I may transfer it to a lanyard. What kind of whistle do you have? I'm using a British Metropolitan police whistle at the moment. I haven't been able to find another mini-Fox 40 (I gave my first one to my wife). Maybe I'll look for one of those flat USCG whistles.<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 06:28 PM

I have the STORM Whistle on my lanyard. It's bulky, but I want to be HEARD! Don't forget to make some manner of protective sleeve for your mirror. It doesn't take a lot of abuse to scratch them. Exploration Products carries the USCG approved flat whistle @ 1.50 ea. They just increased basic shipping to 7.50. So unless they send you the blue introductory order sheet with free shipping buy some gear! www.epcamps.com. I also carry an Aussie 'bullroarer'. This is a small teardrop shaped piece of wood on a string. It makes a LOUD whirring noise that carries for miles. If you saw Crocodile DundeeII one is shown in use.Do a simple search for Bullroarer. There are a handfull of shops in AUS and Ca that sell fancy versions.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 08:55 PM

>>I haven't been able to find another mini-Fox 40 (I gave my first one to my wife). Maybe I'll look for one of those flat USCG whistles.<<<br><br>I wasn't all that impressed with the mini-Fox 40 for it's size or price- it's an awkward shape, and takes a fair amount of breath, but it does seem indestructable.<br><br>Campmor ( www.campmor.com ) has the flat ACR whistles, the ones that say "MEETS USCG REQUIREMENTS". I think they were $3. I have a couple, and they're pretty good.<br><br>Barry Schuchart at Blue Line Outfitters has a number of different types. He just got some "toy" whistles that look like the ones that come in the sardine-can survival kits, two tone, sound like a "bobby" whistle- they're even flatter than the ACR, probably not as sturdy, but they're louder and require less breath, which could be important. I'm probably going to use one in my smallest kit to save space.<br><br>Also, I cut down one of the "featherweight" mirrors that REI and Campmor sell to credit-card size for my small kit. These are very thin, and flexy like a credit card. They have a sighting hole (no grid) in the center, and are normally 4 1/4" x 3 1/8". Saves a lot of space over a thick mirror, glass or acrylic.<br><br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 09:04 PM

>What's your idea of a "tiny" knife? A Vic Classic, perhaps?<<br><br>Exactly. Or maybe a Gerber micro LST or something along those lines. I wouldn't find anything heavier or larger comfortable carried that way. I'm sure others would opt for larger knives.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/23/01 09:13 PM

You can find the Fox at athletic stores (referees buy them).<br><br>I'd recommend the Acme Tornado. Loud like Fox, flat like ACR. 3-chamber pealess. Better than ACR. Where I live there's an auto parts store called Pep Boy's that sells them under the Orion brand name as a keychain/safety whistle.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/24/01 03:07 PM

Or you could get both the flat whistle (http://www.acrelectronics.com/ww3.htm) and a really cool-looking Survival Gear Pouch (http://www.acrelectronics.com/surv_pouch/pouch.html) from ACR Electronics (http://www.acrelectronics.com/) by visiting a dealer near you.<br><br>
Posted by: billvann

Whistles was Re: Neck lanyards - 08/24/01 05:29 PM

I haven't spent much time thinking about whistles because I already have a 5-1 whistle and it seemed adequate. But now I'm having second thoughts so I'd like to hear pros and cons over the product I have to determine whether or not I should replace it.<br><br>It's Cohlman's Survivo II 5-in-1; compass, waterproof match case, shrill S.O.S. whistle, fire starting striker flint, S.O.S. signal mirror and lanyard. I carry it in my fanny pack whenever we go hiking, along with other survival gear.<br><br>The compass is a bubble compass on the cap, which seems okay. I also carry my plate compass so I never had to rely upon it. The mirror is small reflective disc on the inside of the cap, virtually useless so I carry my old Boy Scout metal signal mirror from the early seventies. I plan on buying the newer signal mirrors soon (X-Mass ideas) to replace it. The matchcase I use with blue tip matches. The whistle, the primary reason I bought it, seems loud enough but I've never heard the others listed to compare. <br><br>The firestriker flint has never been used, nor the lanyard, becasue I left the lanyard wrapped and taped around the whistle as it was shipped. I never intended to wear it unless I had to in an emergency so I left it wrapped to prevent the lanyard from tangling the contents of my fanny pack.<br><br>Also, I believe the lanyard is a nylon cord (meltable?).<br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

Whistles was Re: Neck lanyards - 08/24/01 08:57 PM

It certainly makes sense to have all that in one unit. Unfortunately, they are a bit on the cheap side. You could pull together individual components of higher quality and save some space, too. The mirror, as you said, is useless since it is recessed. You wouldn't be able to signal with it. The whistle isn't as loud or reliable as a real rescue whistle. The compass is fine, but a button compass would also be a good choice. The match case is fine, but a bit bulky in my opinion.<br><br>I see these more as an item you would give to a child or a young scout as a first "survival kit." <br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/24/01 11:40 PM

the Buddy knife by blackie collins is amazing for its size.<br>it was my first knife (6) and i still have it (15) and you could imagine what abuse its gone through. <br>heres a pic of it in sheath http://store3.yimg.com/I/gyby_1651_114799545<br>and just type The buddy knife in search. Wonderful knife!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/27/01 12:13 PM

Thanks, CastAway. You were right on point with that suggestion. I went into the local athletic store on Friday and got myself a mini Fox 40.<br><br>

found fox - 08/27/01 06:00 PM

Glad you were able to find one. I personally prefer buying locally. I hate the delays and shipping charges of ordering. Maybe I'm just impatient. Glad I could help.<br><br>

Re: found fox - 08/28/01 11:47 AM

I don't mind shipping charges, but I like buying locally to support our merchants. <br><br>I figure I pay an average of $5 in shipping, but it's worth five bucks to me to not have to get in the car and drive around to find what I want.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 08/28/01 11:51 AM

I dug up a cheap plastic wallet for business cards and put the StarFlash in that. It would be nice to have a better case for it, however. But it will do the job until I find something better.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/24/01 01:18 PM

To revive an old topic, if anyone is still looking for a suitable neck lanyard, I was in my local hardware store recently and saw that they sold bead chain by the foot. This is the same stuff that GI dog tags hang from. I bought 3 feet and it makes an ideal lanyard. <br><br>It won't strangle, melt, absorb dirt or moisture, stink or rot, it's easy to open and close and it's cheap. Best of all, it's very comfortable to wear since the beads roll on your skin. It's worked for a million G.I.s and it seems to work for me.<br><br>My Ace hardware store offered it in 3 materials. Brass, aluminum and chrome-plate as well as different diameters. What material was under the chrome-plating, I don't know. I assumed it was steel, but could have been brass. I chose the aluminum so it wouldn't rust or tarnish. <br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/24/01 02:09 PM

Cool idea. I'll look into it. Um, why won't the beads strangle you in an accident?<br><br>I bought the PHOTON lanyard from LRI, but I actually don't like it, so I'm still looking. I was going to look for one with a velcro overlap breakaway. <br><br>I'm still using an old ID lanyard right now, for my Photon II's. Somewhat ironic.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/25/01 12:59 PM

>>why won't the beads strangle you...?<<<br><br>The bead chain should break away with any unusual force. I haven't tested it's breaking strength, so I can't be positive, but the hardware store listed it's breaking strength at 14 lbs. It also looks like it would give way long before it would support anything like a person's weight. <br><br>It looks like a good balance between enough strength and durability to securely hold your gear on the one hand, and not being strong enough to choke you if you get tangled up on the other hand.<br><br>Fill us in: Why didn't you like the Photon lanyard? Also, if you weren't happy with the break-away device, why?<br><br>Also, is your old ID lanyard a bead chain?<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/25/01 01:06 PM

>>Cool idea. I'll look into it. Um, why won't the beads strangle you in an accident?<<<br><br>They're not that strong. They've been used for dogtags for a long, long time now, and that's always been one of the criteria for the military. In war movies you see guys yanking dogtags off of bodies- they don't unclasp them.<br><br>I think some of the larger diameters might cause bruises if pulled off your neck, but no broken neck or crushed larynx. Usually the "clasp" thingie gives first, but the beads will pull apart with enough force.<br><br>These are also available in silver, and I think Brigade Q. used to have them in stainless. I think you'll find that the chromed ones are brass underneath.. chrome-plating steel is a problem, they used to copper-plate bumpers and such first for adhesion. <br><br>They are about the most comfortable chain you can wear (a lot of cheap silver and gold chains have very rough, sharp-edged surfaces), and don't get funky like nylon or other cords with sweat. Nylon can *really* reek after awhile, and washing it doesn't seem to help much, or for long.<br><br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/25/01 04:16 PM

Hi CastAway,<br><br>I don't like the Photon lanyard because of the breakaway device. It should come apart, then go back together, with a certain amount of force applied. Well, there is no obvious tab or protrusion that I could find on which any force could be applied. I tried simply pulling them apart, exerting all the force I could muster, and nothing happened. Maybe it's operator error, but these things should not require instructions.<br><br>My old lanyard isn't a bead chain, it's a wide-ish shoelace kind of thing. Not breakaway, but I'm still looking a good breakaway that doesn't need an instruction manual.<br><br>

Re: Neck lanyards - 09/25/01 06:50 PM

>>I don't like the Photon lanyard because of the breakaway device<<<br><br>That's strange, I thought it was one of the 2-piece snap-together devices. That kind work something like a plastic easter-egg on a smaller scale. Obviously what you have is different. Sorry you are dissatisfied with it. <br><br>Hopefully the snap-ring is good. Maybe you can transfer that to another lanyard of your liking.<br><br>

more on bead chains - 10/04/01 05:24 PM

Another advantage of using a bead chain as a neck lanyard is that it can be reconfigured into a wrist-lanyard and then converted back to a neck lanyard with ease. To achieve this you would use a standard size (number 3) bead chain and equip it with two couplers of size number 6. The number 6 couplers are a bit larger and have a hole in them so they can be used for splicing. The two couplers could then be used to splice a loop into each end of the chain, one loop for your wrist and one for your equipment. <br><br>You might want to do this if you are using a tool in a place where dropping it would mean losing it for good.<br><br>The second coupler can be made part of the neck lanyard by adding a 1" section of bead chain. Another advantage of having the extra coupler is that if the chain breaks, the second coupler would repair it.<br><br>

Re: more on bead chains - 01/16/02 04:04 AM

I like your idea about the steel chain but after six years in the Marines I wouldn't recommend it.<br><br>1) The beads tangle in your hair and rip it out.<br><br>2) The chain is prone to breaking easily.<br><br>3) If you need to hide they will make a lot of noise.<br><br>4) They work their way around your body no matter how still you are.<br><br>I prefer a piece of paracord. It has its many uses and if it does catch fire I've probably got more important things to worry about.