Peel away mirror protector

Posted by: Biscuits

Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 01:02 AM

What are you folks using as a peel away protector for signal mirrors?
Biscuits
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 05:51 AM

Sticky back plastic

Mark
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 11:42 AM

peel away sheets from electronic devices....
Posted by: Biscuits

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 02:12 PM

1) Like for the writing surface of a Palm Pilot?
2) That's enough protection?
Thanks,
Biscuits
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 02:27 PM

yeah like the once on palmtops and other screans.
i use that on mine improvized signal mirrior for mine PSK, mine full sized once are protected in a zip-lock bag or a small square stuffzak.. never had problems with it.
Posted by: WOFT

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 06:13 PM

What type of store do you get that stuff? Office hardware?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 06:50 PM

Computer stores or stores that sell PDAs may be a better bet. AFAIK amazon has it too.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/09/03 07:23 PM

Just a caution note. One of my plastic Rescue mirrors (Mil-Tec by Strum), came with sticky backed black plastic protective sheet. It had a removal tab and everything. I placed it on the mirror and carried it for about 2 years. I recently wanted to test the mirror and it took me about 30 minutes to remove the sticky plastic. It had essentially lost its removal characteristics. Once I had the black plastic off, I had to laboriously and carefully rub off the sticky residue to get a clear mirror.

I now carry this mirror in a zip lock bag only. The protective coating would have essentially made field use a huge pain, and the mirror was essentially out of service for quite a while before I could use it.

My Gerber mirror (now Ultimate Survival) came with a similar protective plastic that I fortunately never used.

I keep my Rescue Reflectors 2x3 in its heavy plastic bag in a Mission Wallet to keep it both handy and protected.

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/12/03 08:06 PM

how about clear shelf-lining paper (actually plastic)? I use it for other stuff and it comes off pretty good, and it is thick. I have not used it on a mirror though, so i don't know about that specifically.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/12/03 11:30 PM

This may work well. I am not familiar with the adhesive used on this material. My guess is that the removable properties on the plastic I used changed with age, heat and pressure from keeping it in my coat pocket at all times. I would recommend a test, but for me I will not use any adhesive materials on my mirrors ever again, as I cannot predict the removal characteristics with time. I have found a good zip bag to provide adequate scratch protection. I would much rather have an instantly available mirror with a couple of minor scratches than one that may be impossible or require a long time to deploy in the field.

The static cling characteristics of the palm window protectors would be a good thing to try out, but again I would keep the mirror in a zip bag to keep off dust etc that could go under the cling protector and scratch up the mirror big time.

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/28/03 08:38 PM

I've found that whenever I've applied the 'STATIC CLING' TYPE of car window sunshield to my vehicles, that i end up saving the scraps for all kinds of uses. I've applied it to mirrors for 'scratch-proofing' and it generally holds up well, up to a year, more if in a sandwich bag, Gene
Posted by: WOFT

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/28/03 08:46 PM

Where do you buy your 'static cling'? computer stores?

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 06/29/03 08:15 PM

Nope, I get my 'static cling' from auto parts stores. It's sold in the USA for keeping out the sun rays in the Southern climes. Also, home repair stores carry it for home window treatment use. it's sold in rolls of varying widths, lengths, and colors/densities. Gene

Re: Peel away mirror protector - 08/11/03 06:44 AM

I use the 3M clear "Stoneguard" for just about any protective / repair / coating . I even put it over my watch bezel . Won't yellow = UV proof