Steel or brass wire?

Posted by: Craig

Steel or brass wire? - 08/08/01 06:49 PM

I've read that wire is a good item to keep in one's kit for repair purposes. It can be called snare, bailing, or mechanic's wire, but I see both steel and brass wire mentioned in various articles. Any recommendations as to whether I should seek out steel or brass?<br><br>
Posted by: tfisher

Re: Steel or brass wire? - 08/08/01 06:58 PM

It is probably redundant but I carry some stainless steel, and brass. Just because of the different properties of the two. The stainless steel I just got lucky and ran across some surgical steel wire. Before I found the Stainless steel wire I just used some flower arrangement wire which I could purchase in different gauges, and at the right price.<br><br>Thanks<br>Ted Fisher EMT I/D<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Steel or brass wire? - 08/09/01 02:14 AM

I too carry both stainless steel and brass wire in my personal kit(s). About 8' of each. If anyone has trouble finding this I have both available at $.18/foot.<br><br>
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Steel or brass wire? - 08/09/01 05:15 AM

Brass is easily worked and cut,but of greater fragility and may retain human scent. Stainless Steel requires a tool to cut and is slightly more difficult to roll up for storage.Both can be tarnished by an hour in a warm oven to reduce reflection.Brass was carried in G.I. survival kits until Brass shortages nationwide( Vietnam ordnance production).Steel of course is stronger,and therefore has greater multiple use. Both have caught their share of game.<br><br>