Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help - 03/08/23 09:21 PM

Man uses drone to get help while stranded in snow - https://www.abc15.com/news/national/man-uses-drone-to-get-help-while-stranded-in-snow
Posted by: Acropolis50

Re: Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help - 03/08/23 10:51 PM

Very interesting and extremely clever. And he managed a “ two-for” without realizing it. Bravo!
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help - 03/09/23 02:26 AM

Smart thinking! I helped establish our drone program at our fire station, they're incredibly useful. Even just getting a peek above the trees when lost can help you figure out a direction of travel.

There are even models with USB-C built in like the Mavic Mini so you can recharge in the field with solar if need be. I'm planning on picking up something like an Autel Nano since they don't have the same geofencing DJI uses
Posted by: Ren

Re: Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help - 03/09/23 02:58 PM

Nice. Have heard of a radio folk using drones for antenna.

Now wondering if had KDEConnect installed on the phone, and a laptop, whether two way comms would work. Would get all phone notifications on the laptop. And should be able to send SMS from the laptop over wifi to the phone for the phone to send.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Man uses drone to elevate cell phon higher to help - 03/15/23 01:54 PM

This is very clever. The closest I have come is leaving my phone where it has signal reliably and then using bluetooth earbuds to make calls on it. If I stood there holding the phone my movement would make it drop calls. Leaving it in one spot let me make them reliably enough. My situation was far from an emergency though!