Durable Equipment

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Durable Equipment - 01/23/23 08:41 PM

We already have four or five Sawyer Minis, but I'm considering getting a Sawyer Squeeze in addition because the Squeeze is more durable and lasts longer.

I have two plastic Spark-Lites, but I'm considering a brass Spark-Lite because the brass version is more durable and will last longer. If you recall, I ruined a plastic Spark-Lite years ago when I dropped it in the fireplace.

In addition to the above examples, what other durable survival gear should be considered? By "durable," I mean something that should last for years.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 09:29 AM

Define 'last for years'.

You can focus on something that last for years in storage and still be usable. Or focus on usable after continuous use for years. Or something in between. There is always a trade off is size, weight, price, ergonomics, etc. Define the use case and pick accordingly.

Ferro rods corrode; a sparklite uses a tiny one and is enclosed, so it's hard to protect the rod itself and the rod is tiny to begin with. You could seal it in a proper package; but that defeats the sparklite main advantage; one hand operation. A big fat basic ferro rod can be easily wiped dry after use, coated if needed and just has more of it. Both have their ideal use. You also get things like the blastmatch which sits in between.

Waterfilters; for long term storage and use at home; i have a ceramic one. Tried and tested technology. It's slow because the filter surface is limited, but you can scrub off the filter surface and basically reset it. Which is, in mine experience, far more effective and reliable than backflushing a hollow fiber filter like the sawyer. For long term use, that is more important. But for portability; I just go for the sawyer and carry extra bags (the ones from sawyer aren't great in quality/not that durable) and tabs as a backup.

The easiest way to see how something is designed is to look at the target audience. For 'camping' it generally means small/light/limited use. For 'industrial' usually means last for years in a continuous use (although a lot of proper professional brands, don't need to advertise it as such. They just use there solid reputation).

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 01:37 PM

Thanks for your question. The focus is on usable after continuous use for years.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 04:10 PM

I'm considering your suggestion for a ceramic water filter, such as the Katadyn Pocket, as it could be more reliable than the Sawyer Squeeze for bug-in and bug-out.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 05:18 PM

Or something like the Katadyn Hiker. I keep one in my backpack and have a spare filter at home as well.

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 05:40 PM

Though the Katadyn Pocket is not cheap, it's warranted for twenty years and can filter 13,000 gallons of water per filter. Moreover, it weighs less than a pound.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 06:48 PM

That's why i suggest the hiker, its maybe a little bigger but less cost.

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 07:07 PM

The Katadyn Pocket is a beast, made very heavy duty, but so is the weight/price compared to other models. "Pocket" is really the wrong name for it. It's the heaviest and bulkiest model i have used.

The Katadyn hiker is a fiberglass based unit. Which is relatively cheap, but doesn't shine in anything. It doesn't clean well when clogged.

If you want a bug-in filter: I would pick a gravity based ceramic filter. Gravity because I haven't found anybody that thinks that pumping is fun and without a pump, there is no pump that can fail (no valves, less seals and the seals are not moving). Berkey is a common one (not No NSF/ANSI Certification) or Katadyn Drip. You can also buy separate ceramic elements; allows you to use any watercontainers. (options for models with hoses, so no drilling required, or kits that allows you to use two buckets and make a Berkey filter like system.

If you want a bugout: define your scenario. I don't personally don't expect to filter much if I need to evacuate; so portability would be mine higher priority and i'll pick something like the sawyer. Pump or squeeze is handy if you fill and are on the go. Gravity is still handy, but a model based on a drybag/waterbladder is more suitable for portability.

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 08:30 PM

Sure pumping is no fun, but I can be hiking and stop at a stream and toss the pickup hose in and pump my bladder/bottle full and go on with filtered water ready to go. Easier than having two bottles and having a filtered/unfiltered one.

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 08:31 PM

I can't include the Katadyn Hiker for the reason you mentioned: it doesn't clean well when clogged.

We have two Berkeys. That alone is enough reason to exclude anything else for bugging in.

I can't give you a scenario.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Sure pumping is no fun, but I can be hiking and stop at a stream and toss the pickup hose in and pump my bladder/bottle full and go on with filtered water ready to go. Easier than having two bottles and having a filtered/unfiltered one.

I mentioned specifically bug-in, where i really don't see the point in using a pump model.

For hiking; mine requirements are totally different and it depends on the area what option i pick.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 09:41 PM

Thought the spark-lites took standard zippo flints?

So would pack some in waterproof bag/case if was concerned about the flint corroding. Probably have to pack a tool too, to open the spark-lite. Seen some that need an allen key, others flat screwdriver.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Durable Equipment - 01/24/23 11:29 PM

I would think that the most reliable and rugged, long-term use fire starter would be a ferro rod.

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/20/23 08:16 PM

I heard a lot of positive things about the Aurora fire starter. Does anyone have any experience with them? How durable are they?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/21/23 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I heard a lot of positive things about the Aurora fire starter. Does anyone have any experience with them? How durable are they?

Jeanette Isabelle

I have one but I haven't used it yet! I just got it this winter but hopefully I'll get a chance soon. It does seem extremely well made.

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/21/23 05:25 PM

Also, what pen won't let me down? Fisher is a tad expensive for a pen, so I've been looking at Rite in the Rain as an alternative.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/23/23 01:44 PM

For an inexpensive, highly reliable pen, I like Rite in the Rain, Pokka (particularly their all weather models, which are Rite in the Rain branded), and some Fisher pens are pretty cheap.

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/24/23 12:11 AM

I bought a black and blue twelve pack of these https://uniballco.com/collections/rollerball-pens/products/roller-rollerball-pens in college and still use some. I graduated college in 1995.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/24/23 05:26 AM

What do you guys do with your pen? My regular pens don't die so fast. They just keep working. Pilot, Zebra, & Sakura have all worked fine.

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/24/23 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
What do you guys do with your pen? My regular pens don't die so fast. They just keep working. Pilot, Zebra, & Sakura have all worked fine.

My main EDC pen is a Tactile Turn with a Schmidt 9000 refill. I’m probably refilling it about annually. I have a few others that I carry, most notably a cheap orange aluminum pen for outdoors activities. In no small part because it’s bright orange, I keep not losing it.

I like to stash a good inexpensive pen in every bag and every kit — the orange Pokka Rite in the Rain pen has become my standard for that purpose.

And many other pens are temporarily or permanently misplaced, frequently by the rest of the Magnet family. I recently found a Fisher Bullet that I thought I had lost permanently fifteen years ago. I found it on the floor underneath my kid’s bed! With my initials on it!
Posted by: Ren

Re: Durable Equipment - 03/24/23 03:26 PM

Just carry some random ballpoint.

But also have a 4 pack of STAEDTLER 318 WP4 Lumocolor Permanent Pen, Fine tipped. The case they come in that sets them apart.

https://www.staedtler.com/uk/en/products...-pen-f-318-wp4/