Survival Skills in Everyday Situations

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/11/23 01:34 AM

This morning in East Texas, we had fog so thick I couldn't see the end of the block. I walked to the bus line but was concerned the bus driver would not see me. I removed my hoodie and waved it upon the first glimpse of what could be a bus.

Sure enough, the bus almost passed me. However, the driver did see my blue hoodie.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Ren

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/11/23 03:52 PM

Someone on one of the flashlight forums came asking for help solving the same problem.

A flashlight and a traffic wand diffuser. Nitecore makes a selection that'll fit on various sized flashlights.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/12/23 08:32 AM

Or the Fenix CL09.

https://cdn.myshoptet.com/usr/www.bushcr...na.jpg?60157ffc
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/12/23 03:08 PM

Or even just reflective tape/fabric strip on the hoodie
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/12/23 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Or even just reflective tape/fabric strip on the hoodie

Good tip.
I use Scotchlite reflective strips sewed on the outer layer of my garments or attached to my backpack. That increases overall visibility for all drivers. For pedestrians visiblity is good for survival.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/12/23 09:50 PM

Here in Finland, some of the bus paycard holders have a reflective side. Seen here on the photo: https://deejoosep.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/p4147358.jpg?w=640
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/23/23 03:35 PM

Carry a reflective vest, take it off and wave it. : )
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Survival Skills in Everyday Situations - 01/27/23 05:31 PM

The title describes what is happening to me these days. A number of successive problems and some form of incident/equipment failure after another. Here is a glance:

My car was hit while parked in front of the house, Son needed same car because his own car needed to be fixed in a workshop, I used my other bigger car and it had a problem, so it needed to be fixed

Meanwhile, we had a serious problem of water service completely shut down in our neighbourhood, and I had a hospital appointment I should not miss

Brother in another town insisted I bring the whole family for a gathering in remembrance of our late mother and father, and we had no functioning car, nor enough time to go.

My brother thought I am exaggerating and making up excuses

So, yes
We need day-to-day survival skills