Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/10/22 02:59 PM

We have not tried this new company yet but plan to after returning to Texas. The options are two, four, and six people for one year, with feeding for six being the best value.

https://www.josephskitchen.com/

Disclaimer: I financially support the president's YouTube channel. Outside of that, I have no affiliation.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/10/22 09:12 PM

!!!!If I wanted for someone else to decide my nutrition and all those messy details, i would join the military (Navy, not Army - the sailors had better chow, according to my Dad, a WWII vet).
Posted by: RayW

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/10/22 11:00 PM

Jeanette, the products that they are selling look like the bulk supplies that you can get from restaurant supply companies. Once you get settled in Texas you might want to check out those and even some of the bulk retailers like Sam's or Costco. Might save you and your mom some money.

A quick web search on how to buy and store bulk grains.

https://commonsensehome.com/bulk-grain/

No affiliation.

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/10/22 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Jeanette, the products that they are selling look like the bulk supplies that you can get from restaurant supply companies. Once you get settled in Texas you might want to check out those and even some of the bulk retailers like Sam's or Costco. Might save you and your mom some money.

Save money if you do it yourself is probably true for every situation you do it yourself instead of buying a prepackaged plan. Then again, how many would know what to get unless they see something like this?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/11/22 12:55 AM

Most of us feed ourselves with no problems. What sort of guidelines do they offer with respect to nutritional sufficiency for their program.? There are many differences between individuals. you need more than whole grain bread...

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/11/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
you need more than whole grain bread...

Of course. I would not use this without freeze-dried food or other long-term storage food.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/12/22 12:37 AM

Hi,
Why is this interesting?

I've priced it out on google shopping
minus the grinder machine,
and its $1k worth of stuff for $3k,
($1k includes minimum wage to order this stuff,
and pour the wheat into food buckets ).

I don't understand the choices this startup made,
or their math
(olive oil? honey? 12lbs YEAST??????? Lecithin??????)

see the nutrition for yourself,
josephskitchen.com , this is a starvation ration 629 kcal, 16 g protein
365 *6 = 2190 portion

total 1378148 calories
total 1351197kcal
Quote:

verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076

600 lb wheat, hard white
27 liter extra virgin olive oil
9 gallon honey
3 gallon Sunflower Oil
10 lb Iodized Salt

my fameal plan is , $.65 * 365 days/year * 6 people = $1388
Planning for 30 days of food

this more canned food plan,
for 6 people for 1 year,
though it hasn't been updated for pandemic prices,
i believe is about the price of josephskitchen plan,

grandpappy.org/hfoodaff.htm
An Affordable One-Year Emergency Food Supply
and
A Really Cheap One-Year Emergency Food Supply
Copyright © January 1, 2014 by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E.

replicating josephskitchen shopping list using google shopping
Quote:

$156 #~ 3 gallon Sunflower Lecithin
$211 #~ 3 * 9 = 27 liter extra virgin olive oil
376 #~ 9 gal * 12lb * $3.48/lb azurestandard

$144 #~ uline buckets and lids
$265 #~ 12*$22.08 50lb hard white wheat
total $1008 = 156+211+376+265

or lds steel cans instead of buckets
$495 #~ lds store hard white wheat 5.5lb * 6, 33lb for $40.05
#~ 0.825 lb / dollar * 600lb

total $1238 = 156+211+495+376

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/12/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Hi,
Why is this interesting?

I came across what seemed to be helpful information and presented it to the forum.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/12/22 07:47 AM

This reminds me I have been meaning to borrow my mom's pressure canner. I got it for her for Xmas maybe ten years ago. She's used it a bit but not lately, and she did offer to let me borrow it for a while. It would be nice to can some chili.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/12/22 08:38 AM

Thanks for sharing.
On the bright side we got additional information on buying grain and other supplies for baking bread on top of your´s.
We even got some info about selecting the right military service based on the culinary experience you can expect.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 02/21/22 02:28 AM

Baking is a lot of fun. If you get into baking, especially for a whole year, you just wouldn't want to be limited to the narrow range of stuff on that site. Also, you can't make baguette in a bread machine. So what's the point?

If you just want carbs for a whole year, rice is easier than wheat. It can be stored for a long time (apparently up to 10 years). You don't need to grind it or add yeast. You just need water and heat to cook it. It's also cheap. Just go to the nearest ethnic market and grab a bunch of those 50-lb sacks of rice. Just watch out for bugs in storage. But maybe you'll welcome the extra protein?
Posted by: paulr

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 03/24/22 09:04 AM

For wheat, spaghetti is easier to deal with than baking bread. Is it nutritionally about the same? Maybe someone here knows. You can buy it in convenient 1 lb packages almost as cheaply as in bulk, and it stores very well. I have been wanting to try some powdered tomatoes for making sauce.

Dry beans cook fairly quickly in a pressure cooker. Combined with rice you get complete protein. So I'd go for a few sacks of those, as well as rice and other things.

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 03/25/22 04:37 PM

Whole wheat will give you fibre. Spaghetti from refined flour not so much. That is a significant nutrional difference. Products from whole wheat flour tend to go rancid. So keeping the grain and grinding it when needed is better.
Also grain is more versatile. It can be ground to different degrees of fineness used for baking or making pasta. Pasta is just pasta. When you get tired of it, there is not much else you can do with it.
I store grain. I have a different supplier though as I live in Europe.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 03/25/22 09:13 PM

I don't think grain is a good food for humans and I avoid it as much as possible.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 04/10/22 06:32 AM

Their "food for a year" is nothing but bread? Are they nuts?

They will send you their bread recipes for $50. I wonder how many different recipes they can come up with for wheat, salt, olive oil, honey, lecithin and yeast?

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 04/10/22 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Their "food for a year" is nothing but bread? Are they nuts?

They will send you their bread recipes for $50. I wonder how many different recipes they can come up with for wheat, salt, olive oil, honey, lecithin and yeast?

In Germany there are about 3000 varieties of bread and rolls registered. I will admit that not all are wheat only and a lot of recipes are available for free if you do a little research.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Feed Six People for a Year for $3,479.90 - 04/11/22 06:14 AM

Peanut butter