Favorite water filter & purification...

Posted by: teacher

Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/20/21 07:36 PM

Where is your favorite water purification or filter?
I'm looking for new options...
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/20/21 10:30 PM

For backpacking I am currently using a sawyer mini plus katadyn micropur tabs for backup. Most who use sawyer filters prefer the sawyer squeeze..little larger and more flow.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/21/21 06:28 AM

Can´t say it is my favorite `cause I have only one. Grayl Geopress.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/21/21 04:30 PM

I usually EDC a Whirl pak bag and chlorine dioxide based water purification tablets in wazoo cache belt. If I'm deliberately going outdoors I'll usually throw a folded up 1L Evernew and same tablets in cargo pocket among some other items in case I get separated from my bag (on the boat I'm often not wearing it)

My bag will have the full gamut (metal container, water filter, extra evernew bottles, purification tablets, hydration bladder etc). Still using a sawyer mini but might look into Katadyn Befree and CNOC bladder next time as they apparently have a much better flow rate, but it also has a non standard thread and a larger stored diameter. It should be noted that I'm not a thru-hiker and I don't use the filter regularly, it's more of an emergency item. If it was an every day thing I may prioritize flow rate over compactness
Posted by: groo

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/23/21 03:21 AM

I really like The Grayl.

https://grayl.com/

Removes virus as well as bacteria. Little pricey per gallon, but foolproof.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/23/21 11:57 AM

Don't understand why they didn't make the outer cup thing metal.

Same with other bottle style filters. Like Aquamira's is stainless steel bottle, but double walled *facepalm*.

You'd have thought being able to boil water in a pinch if the filter dies/freezes/breaks would be a good selling point.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/23/21 02:44 PM

I've never owned one, but one thing I like about Grayl is the claimed removal of some chemicals and heavy metals. I carry the Sawyer mini in my kits, and it doesn't claim to do that.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/24/21 04:12 AM

Yes, I'm learning about the differences in filter capabilities - some filers, others purify and only a few handle nasties like heavy metals..
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/24/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Ren
Don't understand why they didn't make the outer cup thing metal.

They had one made out of stainless, but it appears to be discontinued and I'm not sure why. At least you could use it to boil water if the filter broke. May be a niche in the market for a stainless steel cup that fits on the bottom of the bottle.

It's cool that the grayl is supposed to filter viruses, but I'm hesitant - not just because of it's low volume to size ratio, but because it's plastic and you're expected to lean your weight on it to filter the water. Several reviewers on amazon have complained about it breaking. It would be prudent to have a backup way to make water safe if one decides to use it.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/24/21 10:15 PM

Ah wasn't aware of the stainless one. Managed to find an article and pictures.

https://soldiersystems.net/2015/04/30/grayl-water-filtration-cup/

Seems they still added a plastic bottom to the outer cup. Though is removable apparently judging from a comment.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/25/21 11:10 PM

Are there any water filters that can be left in a car in the winter?

Seems like all of 'em stop working after one or two freeze / thaw cycles.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 11:18 AM

One that hasn't been used might survive, it's the water trapped inside freezing that cracks them.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 02:47 PM

The Sawyer Mini, unused, can survive freeze/thaw cycles undamaged. I believe that other Sawyer filters are the same.

Once they are used, it’s essentially impossible to get all the water out to prevent damage to the fibers if they are exposed to freezing temps again.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 10:46 PM

Ah. I wondered. I didn't know if they were somehow primed at the factory or something that would leave some trace of water present.

So, in the winter, they're essentially single use (or at least, until they freeze again). I can live with that.

Thanks.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 11:04 PM

My winter plan would be to keep my filter in my coat.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 11:21 PM

I'm still working out the details. smile

This is in the context of winterizing the car. I'm redoing the car's kit (all the stuff required by a car... shovel, fixaflat, cables, etc) and my kit (the Unplanned Hiking / Camping kit).

Ideally, I'd like to leave the filter in the bag and forget about it unless I need it. Like you suggest, though, once I do need it, I'll probably need it again soon after, so it makes sense to transfer it to an interior coat pocket.

I have a butane stove and metal nalgene bottle in there, so I could boil water, but I much prefer filtered.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/26/21 11:47 PM

just get a mechanical filter then?

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/27/21 12:33 AM

Can you elaborate a little? I'm not sure what you mean by a mechanical filter. Even the grayl says not to let the filter element freeze.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/27/21 01:56 PM

I meant a pump ceramic filter that does not use hollow fiber technology. I was going to name the MSR Sweetwater, but that one may be discontinued. Maybe a Katadyn Hiker Pro or MSR Miniworks.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers

https://sectionhiker.com/msr-miniworks-ex-water-filter-review/
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/27/21 02:20 PM

When the ceramic filter is wet, freezing it still can cause cracks. It may be even more vulnerable than hollow fibre as ceramic is more brittle.

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/27/21 02:48 PM

Max is likely right. Freezing temps are the enemy of filters ; ).

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 09/27/21 04:45 PM

Oh. Cool. Thanks!
Posted by: amper

Re: Favorite water filter & purification... - 11/29/21 06:14 PM

If I could afford it, I'd have an MSR Guardian, hands down the best on the market, but it costs a fortune and it's relatively large/heavy. So, instead, I now use an MSR TrailShot.