Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/13/21 11:07 PM

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada...arry-100633229/
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/14/21 01:32 PM

Wow. If what happened is correct, terrible way do die. Rule No. 1 - Don't actively sail into a hurricane.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/15/21 12:12 PM

As a sailor, I find this especially fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/15/21 03:04 PM

Great! Now all boats will have to have a big warning sticker that says "DO NOT SAIL INTO HURRICANES".
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/16/21 03:30 AM

This seems like hubris or mostly desperation. I suppose there are many vessels that would survive the mauling of a Cat-1 hurricane, but they're a helluva lot bigger. And neither the crew nor the ship would enjoy the ride.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/16/21 02:25 PM

Believe it or not, there have been many sailboats of this size who have sailed through hurricanes. Hove too rather than sailed, but you get the picture.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/16/21 04:23 PM

There are for sure lots of 30 footers that COULD sail through a hurricane. So much has to do with how the the boat is equipped. How well is the mast stayed? Are there appropriate sized sea anchors with good fixing points? Etc. etc. This guy was desperate and went for it. Honestly I'm not even sure he's dead. He was certainly having second thoughts but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he survived and makes it to his destination.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Steal Boat- Sail into Hurricane - Die - 09/16/21 11:11 PM

Interesting! Gentlemen, I defer to your wisdom. Maybe the PLB activation was an attempt at misdirection? Dunno.