Gear thinking vs. systems thinking

Posted by: teacher

Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 06/28/21 06:38 PM

From another post -- We often talk in terms of gear to prepare, but what about systems? How do you prepare your social networks and other systems?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 06/28/21 07:13 PM

Short answer - be active, open to new experiences and people (and their odd ideas). Evaluate new concepts thoughtfully and thoroughly.

Don't be fearful of something new and novel....
Posted by: Blast

Re: Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 06/30/21 04:08 PM

1. Know my neighbors and more importantly, develop a reputation in the neighborhood as a friendly and helpful guy. Same at church.

2. Find a plumber, auto mechanic, dentist, and doctor that you can be loyal to and send business to them, knowing their new customers came from you.

3. Be active at your kids' school, scouts, or other activities.

4. Give up on ever having time to watch TV! Lol
-Blast
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 06/30/21 05:52 PM

What?? Give up tube time?? How radical can you get? Shameless!!

Actually the gear is rather diminished without the knowhow and most of us are well aware of this...

Firearms cause accidents without knowledge of safe practices. The best camp gear cannot compensate for choice of a bad campsite, etc.

The most vivid example is first aid equipment. You cannot treat properly unless you recognize the condition and this usually requires no equipment at all, merely knowledge.

I would rather be handled by a knowledgeable person with no equipment than by a well equipped doofuss...

Re: Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 07/26/21 10:31 PM

I think talking over plans now, rather in a crisis would help; where to go if, where to find help, what to do if you can't contact us, etc.

Re: Gear thinking vs. systems thinking - 09/09/21 07:01 PM

Planning ahead is not just gear; its planning for likely scenarios for your area, and building a network beforehand.