What are you learning this week?

Posted by: TeacherRO

What are you learning this week? - 03/25/21 10:10 PM

For me Its radios: frms gmrs and vhf -- pretty simple but useful info
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/25/21 10:49 PM

I’ve been working on learning new knots and practicing making them.
Posted by: KenK

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/26/21 12:59 AM

Familiarization with my first (9mm) pistol & ammunition, on-line self/home defense learning, and reading related state laws. Joined a local outdoor shooting range. Signed up for concealed carry training that is scheduled for after we're fully vaccinated, but have the state manual in hand and pretty much memorized. Will arrange for more hands-on training after that class - post vaccination. We live quite rural, so options are limited.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 12:20 AM

KenK... once you have become familiar with the operation and safe handling, you might look into one of the practical shooting sports, IDPA or USPSA... I've been shooting USPSA since 1982, and have met some really good people there... regards Les... L747 Limited M
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 12:42 AM

I'm learning that when your shoulder is dislocated out the back of the socket it's a lot bigger deal than when it's dislocated out the front.

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 01:03 AM

Oh, ouch Phaedrus! I’ve had multiple shoulder surgeries and over 18mos of PT and it was horrible. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 01:36 AM

Yeah, I waiting on an appointment for a CT and MRI. The doc kept using words like "interesting", "complicated" and "tricky" when looking at the X-rays.

The best part? I ordered a Beretta 1301 Tactical early this week, no telling how long til I can actually shoot it! cry
Posted by: hikermor

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 02:21 AM

Second thee sentiments! I am dealing with a hip replacement, which I believe is relatively routine, compared to other body parts. Still I would say that the PT is crucial, takes a while, and has a lot to do with the extent of recovery. Hang in there and best wishes!!

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 02:40 AM

I'm just eager to get the scans so they can determine what to do with the shoulder. I hate the thought of losing the whole summer.

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 01:27 PM

Best of luck with your hip replacement hikermor!

Re: What are you learning this week? - 03/28/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
once you have become familiar with the operation and safe handling, you might look into one of the practical shooting sports

100% agreed.

Some firearms instructors spread misinformation about how “competition will get you killed on the street.” I don’t agree with those sentiments. Competition is excellent for practicing a number of things safely, such as drawing, holstering, marksmanship, reloading, building speed, engaging multiple targets, use of cover, and so on. Competition is not a replacement for appropriate defensive training, but can be an excellent adjunct. And it is a lot of fun.

I competed for decades and will likely return to competition in the future. I got a lot out of it.