Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber

Posted by: brandtb

Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 03:08 PM

I have several handguns/mags for which I have no immediate need. I have stored these in plastic ammo cans with a rubber seal. They were well oiled and placed in the cans with a large amount (about 8 oz) of silica desiccant powder. The silica is in a small plastic container (with holes drilled in the lid) inside the ammo can.

A quick check of Amazon shows oxygen absorbers from 100cc up to 3000cc. I have no experience with oxtgen absorbers. Would they be better than silica, or possibly in addition to? Any suggestions?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 03:23 PM

Desicant should be enough. When there is no moisture the steel should not corrode. Car wax might have been a better choice for coating as it does not tend to collect dust and allows handling without getting oily fingers.
Oxygen absorbers are usually in use for food storage where the oxygen remaining in the container may cause some loss in quality.

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 03:43 PM

Thanks for the response, Max.

I love your signature - it's so true.
Posted by: NAro

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 06:15 PM

FWIW... I find Rig or Break-Free COLLECTOR to be a much better choice than oil for long term storage. Rig is a grease, and messy. Break-free collector (the collector version, not the regular break-free) is a spray. I like the spray because 1) I can apply it liberally everywhere..even into parts I don't want to disassemble, and 2) you can easily clean it off with regular break-free or a solvent...and can even operate the weapon without cleaning it off if you have to. Additionally, after spraying the firearm I wrap it in parchment paper (you can get it in most grocery stores - and it is silicone impregnated). I have handguns I've stored this way for 10+ years and they're as as good as they were when I put them away. YMMV
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 08:07 PM

I have a simple solution to the issue of rust. I live in the desert. grin
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 08:18 PM

I like Doug's solution, which I formerly utilized (in Tucson). Just this morning I had occasion to search for four magazines I had stored at least twenty-five years ago. I did nothing sprcial to them - just clean and dry.

No rust or problems - noce, clean, and ready to use. This is in southern California, where we get at least some rain every winter.

You can probably skip the oxygen absorbers.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/08/20 09:31 PM

Once, when I was still a teen, my family and I stayed in Pheonix, Arizona. Though the temperatures were in the triple digits, I was more comfortable there because of the lack of humidity.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/09/20 01:09 AM

NAro, Thank you for your response. Sounds like what I need. I looked up Break-Free COLLECTOR on Amazon. One of the customer comments was as follows -

"Do not apply it to wood or plastic. Overtime the oil will darken would [sic], and all petroleum products attack plastic."

One of guns I am storing is an 80% Glock clone by Polymer 80. Polymer 80 cautions against using any solvent such as brake cleaner on the polymer surface. Any experience with polymers? By the way, I have not seen any COLLECTOR in a spray - just liquid 4 oz bottle.

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/09/20 01:02 PM

"I have not seen any COLLECTOR in a spray"
I believe the 4. oz bottle has a "straw" attachment applicator I should have said that I can use this to send it everywhere.

"Do not apply it to wood or plastic" I'd email CLP directly to ask about this. I don't have long-term-enough experience. But I'd rely on CLP if they tell you it's o.k.

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/09/20 01:03 PM

I don't know, Doug. Rumor has it your palms get sweaty around a beautiful custom knife. Your sweat won't rust metal?
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/09/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: NAro
I don't know, Doug. Rumor has it your palms get sweaty around a beautiful custom knife. Your sweat won't rust metal?

I'm so cool, I never sweat? And, I have this bridge... grin

Re: Dessicant versus Oxygen Absorber - 11/09/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: NAro

I'm so cool, I never sweat? And, I have this bridge... grin

You never sweat? In the desert? What bridge is that? Something in Brooklyn? I already bought it.