Time to pack your Winter car kit

Posted by: TeacherRO

Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/03/20 07:43 PM

Even if you're in the warm-ish places, its time to build Winter car kit.
Tools, food, insulation, communication...
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/03/20 11:06 PM

SE Pennsylvania doesn't have many sub-freezing days, but it has a few. To prevent the water in my trunk from damaging the containers, I use the 4 oz packets inside another container.

https://www.amazon.com/Datrex-Emergency-...4644&sr=8-5
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/04/20 01:56 AM

Mine has been packed for a while. It got down to -7 F already a couple weeks ago so I am ready.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/06/20 10:47 PM

Changed over to winter tires last weekend; changed the auto transmission fluid; I can't believe I waited this long to do this. Checked the 5-yr old car battery - I should be able to carry one more winter out of this one. Charged up my car starter batter pack nevertheless.

Repacked my winter BOB. Put extra gloves & tuque in the car; put my shoe traction aides in the driver side panel where I can immediately get to them. Removed water bottles from side doors (water doesn't drink well when its frozen!)

I still need to replace my snow shovel; the one I have has a broken plastic collar. And I need to get a spare key cut to replace one that was lost.

A major winter storm will roll in this Sunday/Monday on the prairies - we are expecting 300-600 mm of snow with 50-70 kph winds and the temps are going to fall like a rock to -22°C after the blizzard roars through. It was +21°C yesterday during an unseasonably warm patch so it will feel extra cold because we aren't acclimatized yet.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/07/20 12:43 AM

My winter tires are on the way; I have to order them online, unfortunately. I had hoped they'd make it here today but it doesn't look like they will. We supposedly have a big storm coming this weekend, too.
Posted by: aligator

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/07/20 07:38 PM

Lives in my car, only thing that changes, aside perishables, is my -20 degree Wiggys bag for my 0 degree Wiggys bag (3 seasons). Also, the pointed shovel is replaced with a wide bladed spade I use as a snow shovel. Winter boots live in my stranding bag (US Mil parachute bag). Still need to put in the snow shoes.

Regards, Jim
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/10/20 04:48 PM

Same here, I keep most of my vehicle survival gear in my car year-round. In Fall I replace the down jacket with a heavier parka and add in a tougher metal snow shovel, but leave in my smaller etool along with my axe and 50cm Bow Saw.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 11/10/20 05:00 PM

Here in southern California the biggest change is the vintage appropriate to the season.

I know its winter. Temps dipped into the low forties last night.

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 12/28/20 08:30 PM

spare phone charger and battery

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 01/07/21 05:43 PM

For places where it snows
small shovel
traction items
weather radio or app
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Time to pack your Winter car kit - 01/08/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
small shovel

I have learned the hard way that many shovels are insufficiently rugged for this use. I ended up buying Voile Telepro Avalanche Shovels for both my wife’s and my car (no affiliation). Spendy, but they will last forever and our children will fight over them.